descending songs

sungod
sungod Posts: 16,556
edited May 2013 in The cake stop
when i'm on long fast descents, not loads of hairpins just swoopy high speed curves, the sort where you only need to worry about surprise crosswind gusts, road debris or tragic mechanical events causing you to deck it at 70-90kph, i often find myself singing, well screaming, the lyrics of 'famous last words' by my chemical romance

assuming i'm not the only one, what's your descending song?
my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny

Comments

• desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    I don't sing, but I sometimes get the first movement of Mozart's 25th symphony in my head.

Largely thanks to this.
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • crumbschief
    crumbschief Posts: 3,399
    Love In An Elevator
  • Davdandy
    Davdandy Posts: 571
    Fast as a Shark..............Accept.
    Cannondale CAAD 8 105
    Rockrider 8.1
  • crispybug2
    crispybug2 Posts: 2,915
    For some reason when I'm descending 'The Ride of the Valkyries' goes through my head!
  • Davdandy
    Davdandy Posts: 571
    Whiplash............Metallica.
    Cannondale CAAD 8 105
    Rockrider 8.1
  • Cleat Eastwood
    Cleat Eastwood Posts: 7,508
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • alihisgreat
    alihisgreat Posts: 3,872
    Ride of the Valkyries? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CGBDWER-wUI

and everyone loves a bit of meatloaf https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q9hLcRU5wE4
  • FatTed
    FatTed Posts: 1,205
    Cleat we need a description with the Link :lol:
  • greasedscotsman
    greasedscotsman Posts: 6,962
    Was in Spain a few years ago and rode down this...

3244327875_8f8c67a504.jpg

With this tune in my head for some reason.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=57oBC_WLsYA

Seemed appropriate! :D
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,556
    now that's the sort of road i'm talking about!
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • Cleat Eastwood
    FatTed wrote:
    Cleat we need a description with the Link :lol:

I hum this :lol:

Everybody's scaring, I am such a daring rider
    My inside rattles when I go the pace
    My ribs begin to shake about
    There's all my spare parts sticking out
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,364
    Was in Spain a few years ago and rode down this...

3244327875_8f8c67a504.jpg

Is'nt that gorgeous - imagine the 45 minute descent off Sestriere or an hour off the Galibier.

3 years to the Marmotte for me. Many miles of training and pain to go.
    (Unless I get bumped off by the Americans before that)

and when I do, this will seem appropriate
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • Was in Spain a few years ago and rode down this...
    As a thoroughly nervous descender, that screams AG2R shorts to me.
    Mangeur
  • CambsNewbie
    CambsNewbie Posts: 564
    On most descents in Cambs I wouldn't get through the first verse before its over, let alone get through a complete song! :D
  • On most descents in Cambs I wouldn't get through the first verse before its over, let alone get through a complete song! :D
    I believe Napalm Death may be your friends here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ybGOT4d2Hs8
    Mangeur
  • jrduquemin
    jrduquemin Posts: 791
    DesWeller wrote:
    I don't sing, but I sometimes get the first movement of Mozart's 25th symphony in my head.

Largely thanks to this.

That is the most sublime piece of descending I've ever seen :-)
    2010 Lynskey R230
    2013 Yeti SB66
  • CambsNewbie
    CambsNewbie Posts: 564
    On most descents in Cambs I wouldn't get through the first verse before its over, let alone get through a complete song! :D
    I believe Napalm Death may be your friends here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ybGOT4d2Hs8

Good call! :D
  • declan1
    declan1 Posts: 2,470
    DesWeller wrote:

Largely thanks to this.

I watched that for probably the 30th time literally an hour ago!

Road - Dolan Preffisio
    MTB - On-One Inbred

I have no idea what's going on here.
  • goonz
    goonz Posts: 3,106
    Toto - Africa
    Just seems to feel right.
    Scott Speedster S20 Roadie for Speed
    Specialized Hardrock MTB for Lumps
    Specialized Langster SS for Ease
    Cinelli Mash Bolt Fixed for Pain
    n+1 is well and truly on track
    Strava http://app.strava.com/athletes/1608875
  • marylogic
    marylogic Posts: 355
    The "numa numa" song

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jRx5PrAlUdY (if you can't remember it)

It's in my head all the time when I cycle -ascending, descending, on the flat (if I ever find any).
  • lawrences
    lawrences Posts: 1,011
    marylogic wrote:
    The "numa numa" song

It's in my head all the time when I cycle -ascending, descending, on the flat (if I ever find any).

That's reason enough to never cycle again.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,588
    Can't recall getting a tune in my head when descending. I tend to get tunes stuck in my head when suffering though, the most recent being Survival by Muse but the worst is when I get a jingle or annoying tune stuck there and it's on a loop when I'm already struggling. The first song that came into my head when I saw this thread has already been mentioned though, Love In An Elevator (living it up when I'm going down) - possibly not the sort of descending that was on Steve Tyler's mind when writing it though!
  • BelgianBeerGeek
    BelgianBeerGeek Posts: 5,226
    Pross wrote:
    Can't recall getting a tune in my head when descending. I tend to get tunes stuck in my head when suffering though, the most recent being Survival by Muse but the worst is when I get a jingle or annoying tune stuck there and it's on a loop when I'm already struggling. The first song that came into my head when I saw this thread has already been mentioned though, Love In An Elevator (living it up when I'm going down) - possibly not the sort of descending that was on Steve Tyler's mind when writing it though!
    Oddly enough Mr P this a great descending song. I always think of the video.
    Been done, I think. Bobby Vee's " Rubber Ball" somehow seems appropriate. For a tentative descender like me.
    Ecrasez l’infame
  • IanTrcp
    IanTrcp Posts: 761

A 3 year training programme!?

Or there's another reason that you won't be able to have a crack for 3 years??
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,364
    IanTrcp wrote:

Need serious strengthening up.
    I was diagnosed with AML. 296 hours of chemo, 2 hrs total body irradiation, a Bone marrow transplant, 3 hip replacements and 11 years of on and off hospitalisation to cut a long sordid story short. I'd like to think i'm the Jens Voigt 'frequent flyer' of the NHS.
    Did the Etape in 2009 - did lots of training and despite a chest infection, it was a cruise.
    However, 2 little miracles happened since '09 and I cannot find holes in the time-space continueum? between looking after the little one's, working and taking care of my sick mother and trying to fit in enough miles.
    Eye reckons, i's be able to train more when they are at nursery/school.

The last 3 winters are the first in 17 years that I have been able to ride continuously thanks to rollers and good clothing/reasonable health. The effect of this has established some good base level fitness and stamina which I will build on because I am not going to the Marmotte to fail and I want to enjoy it and not struggle. Cannot wait.
    Want to do some of the climbs beforehand to give me a good idea, after all Alpe D'huez and Galibier are holy places aren't they and just worth it: Dream time.
    In my favour, I am 65kg's.
    If you know anyone who likes babysitting...
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • Cleat Eastwood
    marylogic wrote:
    The "numa numa" song

Great song - but when I read I thought you meant this :lol:
  • airbag
    airbag Posts: 201
    There's an answer to this that isn't "Don't Stop Me Now"?
  • IanTrcp
    IanTrcp Posts: 761
    IanTrcp wrote:

Need serious strengthening up.
    I was diagnosed with AML. 296 hours of chemo, 2 hrs total body irradiation, a Bone marrow transplant, 3 hip replacements and 11 years of on and off hospitalisation to cut a long sordid story short. I'd like to think i'm the Jens Voigt 'frequent flyer' of the NHS.
    Did the Etape in 2009 - did lots of training and despite a chest infection, it was a cruise.
    However, 2 little miracles happened since '09 and I cannot find holes in the time-space continueum? between looking after the little one's, working and taking care of my sick mother and trying to fit in enough miles.
    Eye reckons, i's be able to train more when they are at nursery/school.

The last 3 winters are the first in 17 years that I have been able to ride continuously thanks to rollers and good clothing/reasonable health. The effect of this has established some good base level fitness and stamina which I will build on because I am not going to the Marmotte to fail and I want to enjoy it and not struggle. Cannot wait.
    Want to do some of the climbs beforehand to give me a good idea, after all Alpe D'huez and Galibier are holy places aren't they and just worth it: Dream time.
    In my favour, I am 65kg's.
    If you know anyone who likes babysitting...

All credit to you Pinarello! Pursuing real goals over the long term is the mark of the strong. Arriving at the bottom of the Alpe knowing you've got enough left in the tank is is a great great feeling! I wish you all the best.
  • marylogic
    marylogic Posts: 355
    lawrences wrote:
    marylogic wrote:
    The "numa numa" song

That's reason enough to never cycle again.

No, because then I would have to stay in and listen to the cr4p my kids like - One Direction seems to be the favourite just now. :x
    marylogic wrote:
    The "numa numa" song

Great song - but when I read I thought you meant this :lol:

At least the "menomenom" muppets song is a big hit too :)
  • nunowoolmez
    nunowoolmez Posts: 865
    Can't think of any descending songs, mine come usually when going up. Sometimes i like to have the Shamens 'Move Any Mountain' in my head, & sometimes totally random lyrics come into my head. Like the other day i had lyrics from Prefab Sprouts 'King Of Rock N Roll' come into my head. You know, the one that goes like..."Hot dog, jumping frog, Alberquerqe". Weird!