Bobbin Brownie or Birdie??

LizzyH
LizzyH Posts: 6
edited May 2013 in Commuting general
Hi!

I've been using a Cube Attention mountain bike to commute to work but I'd like something a bit more comfortable and stylish yet still practical.

I have looked at a lot of bikes and narrowed it down to the very retro sit up and beg style bikes from Bobbin. My question is should I get the Bobbin Birdie in ether yellow or sky blue, which has just 3 gears, or the Bobbin Brownie in rose pink which has 7 gears?

Thanks,

Lizzy

Comments

• 16mm
    16mm Posts: 545
    how many gears do you use on your mountain bike getting to work? If you only use 1 gear, then the 3 speed would be fine. If you've got a hill, or expect to be carrying your shopping home, then maybe you need more.
    Alternatively get the bike you like the look of most. Then you'll probably ride it more:-)
  • LizzyH
    Hi!
    I definitely use more than one gear on my way to work. There's a bit of a mountain at one point too which even on my mountain bike is quite hard work. My only concern is that the birdie will have less gears but the bottom and top of the range are exactly the same as the brownie and therefore having 7 gears won't really make so much difference?
    But the pink is defo the prettiest!!
  • BikerMouse
    BikerMouse Posts: 1
    I've just got a yellow Bobbin Birdie and I absolutely love it. It is heavy but feels really stable. Three gears are enough for me but I'm in London so not so hilly!
  • MrSweary
    MrSweary Posts: 1,699
    Wife has a Birdie in buttermilk with whitewalled tires. Prettiest bike I've ever seen but I wouldn't want to have to use it on anything like a hill.
    Kinesis Racelite 4s disc
    Kona Paddy Wagon
    Canyon Roadlite Al 7.0 - reborn as single speed!
    Felt Z85 - mangled by taxi.
  • LizzyH
    Thanks I've ordered a Brownie into the shop to have a go and see if its any good. Ill report back once it arrives in but by the sounds of things Id be better off with the brownie (in rose pink of course!).
  • LizzyH
    Absolutely loving the bike! If it is heavier than my mountain bike you wouldn't know it. The thinner tyres make it much easier to peddle! The gears don't go as low as my mountain bike but you don't need it to. I definitely would say that if you have a few more hills to climb then the Brownie is the one to buy.
    Really comfortable seat position and I would recommend getting the Retro light to go with the bike. The light is surprisingly bright too.
    It is a real thing of beauty and a pleasure to go peddling through the countryside on! Makes my commute really enjoyable.
    Any Q's please ask away!
  • 16mm
    16mm Posts: 545
    If you need to lower the gearing then assuming you have sturmery archer hubs, you (or a bike shop) can remove the rear sprocket and fit a larger one. You'll need an extra link in the chain too. I think I got spare sprockets from sjs cyles. They're attached with a wire circlip.

This will make all the gears lower.
  • LizzyH
    Thanks! If the hills start getting steeper a bit further afield that'll come in handy!