What stem and bars

alfa145
alfa145 Posts: 66
edited May 2013 in MTB buying advice
Currently have a Race Face Ride XC bars (685mm, 25mm rise) and 100mm stem. I want to reduce the stem length and increase the bar width as I find the reach just a little bit too much sometimes and find my hands wanting to be spaced out more. Bike is a Giant Trance X3 2009 and I ride a mixture of XC, trail centres and I guess light AM usage.

Ideally I want a 70mm stem and 720-740mm bars. I was looking at the Superstar Epix stem but I'm not sure if going that light is a good idea so I might consider the Zephyr...but I am struggling with some bars - does anyone have any suggestions for some low-mid risers?

Comments

• peter413
    peter413 Posts: 5,120
    What's you budget?

Merlin cycles have Raceface Sixc's (785mm) for £76 and Easton Havoc's (750mm) for £81. Both are very good, strong carbon bars. Both can be cut down to your personal preference. I just bought some of the Sixc's for myself.

If your budget can't quite stretch that far, it's hard to beat the Kore OCD's for alloy bars and they are only £45 at CRC. Sub 300g for a 800mm wide bar (again can be cut down) is good anyway but at that price it's amazing IMO. I wouldn't buy any other alloy bar now after my OCD's, they have a really nice shape and have proved themselves to be every bit as strong as the Torsion which is a little cheaper but far heavier. I own both the Torsion's and OCD's in case you're wondering, bought the Torsion's before the OCD's were available for my DH bike then bought the OCD's for my trail bike. Now the OCD's are on my DH bike since I bought the Sixc's for the trail bike so the Torsion's are just sitting in the shed as spare bars.
  • felix.london
    felix.london Posts: 4,067
    I love the Easton Haven's - think they're 711m but for me, they feel spot on. The Rockhopper has an Alu Haven and a 80mm Superstar Zenith stem...works well for me
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8
  • alfa145
    alfa145 Posts: 66
    Thanks for the replies chaps - I went with the Zephir stem 70mm in gunmetal and the Race Face Sixc bars on the basis that I can always cut the bars down if needed. Can't wait for the mid week ride now :lol:
  • Grovsie29
    Grovsie29 Posts: 116
    Ive got a trance and got Superstar Zenith AM stem 65mm and Raceface respond 740mm bars. Feels nice from the stock setup.