Do I need a new chain wheel ?

VTech
VTech Posts: 4,736
edited May 2013 in Road beginners
At the minute im running Shimano Ultegra Hollowtech-II, 53/39T; 172.5mm.

I was out on a half decent run this morning and again, struggled with hills (there were a couple of Cat4 hills) and one of the guys commented that I need a smaller little ring to assist with climbing as im getting tired very quickly.
I seem to be able to churn out the km on the flat or slight incline yet the big hills sap my power soooo quickly.
I know thats the way it is and I need to get fitter and lose weight but if something helps im all for it.

Main reason is not because I just want an easy time, I would like to be able to keep up with them so that I can get more training done as I do get encouraged to cover more ground when with others.
My average speed has increased quite quickly from 17kph and im now around 23kph but thats enough to keep up with these guys for maybe 15k only.
Living MY dream.

Comments

• iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    What's the cassette on the back? The cheapest option, if its 12-25, is to slap on a 12-27.
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    agree with the above, although it sounds like a compact chainset (eg 50/34) would also be a good investment - lots of benefit in the lower gearing range, with very little lost at the top end.
  • VTech
    I had already changed the rear cassette from 12-25 to 12-27.
    Living MY dream.
  • elderone
    elderone Posts: 1,410
    So get a compact 50/34.I had the same set up as you and I changed to a compact and 30 on the back.Helped alot on the hills.When you feel confident in your abilities you can always change back if you want to.
    Dulce et decorum est Pro patria mori
  • VTech
    elderone wrote:
    So get a compact 50/34.I had the same set up as you and I changed to a compact and 30 on the back.Helped alot on the hills.When you feel confident in your abilities you can always change back if you want to.

Cheers, just ordered one.
    Living MY dream.
  • VTech
    Just a thought, would I be better off with a new chain ?
    Living MY dream.
  • doug5_10
    doug5_10 Posts: 465
    You can just shorten the existing one if its still well under .75% wear, otherwise just get a new one. Did you not get a new chain when you went to the 27 on the rear (unwise to lengthen an old chain)
    Edinburgh Revolution Curve
    http://app.strava.com/athletes/1920048
  • elderone
    elderone Posts: 1,410
    I didnt need a new chain as it all worked with the chain on there.I would just ask the shop or who ever is fitting it for you,whether its needed.
    Dulce et decorum est Pro patria mori
  • supermurph09
    supermurph09 Posts: 2,471
    I think you're making a mistake. The hills you are facing are really not very tough, I'd say just stick at it with what you have and the improvement will come. It's clear you are heading in the right direction. One thing I'd say is your average cadence over the ride was 60, that seems low. I wonder if you're pushing too hard a gear earlier on, then getting tired too quick and finding hills harder than they should be.
  • VTech
    I think you're making a mistake. The hills you are facing are really not very tough, I'd say just stick at it with what you have and the improvement will come. It's clear you are heading in the right direction. One thing I'd say is your average cadence over the ride was 60, that seems low. I wonder if you're pushing too hard a gear earlier on, then getting tired too quick and finding hills harder than they should be.

Ive noticed that and agree.
    I find them completely power sapping. Im finding im going too fast downhills and too slow up them.
    When I get to the bottom of a hill I try and go quickly to make it up the next hill quicker but end up running out too fast. Im not sure if im being too hard on myself as my speeds look like they are increasing but them blo0dy hills are doing my head in :mrgreen:
    Living MY dream.
  • Paul E
    Paul E Posts: 2,052
    Your pacing sounds like it's way out too, you need to leave some in the tank to drop a couple of gears near the top and power over the crest.
  • Hoopdriver
    Hoopdriver Posts: 2,023
    A compact will allow you to enjoy your cycling now - as well as later on when you get fitter. If pedalling becomes too easy put on a cassette with an 11-tooth rear sprocket. You won't pedal out on 50x11, certainly not often, anyway, as this is something like 116 gear inches. If you do find you are pedalling out all the time, well then my congratulations and don't worry about the cost of upgrades and changes because your pro team sponsor will cover those for you.
  • paul2718
    paul2718 Posts: 471
    The compact will give you one lower gear, it's not a panacea for climbing 'normal' gradients, but it will obviously help somewhat.

Perhaps you also need to work at finding an effort level you can sustain? Then concentrate on riding the whole way up at that effort. Don't worry about the speed or what anybody else is doing. IMO this is a better approach than attacking, blowing up, then struggling to the top. A power meter makes this easier to find, a heart rate monitor is helpful, but mostly it's about feel and a bit of experience. If at the bottom of the hill you feel you're not trying hard enough, then you're in the right zone.

Paul
  • Grill
    Grill Posts: 5,610
    A compact will help, but you really need to work on your cycling fitness as the reality is that technology is no replacement for muscle memory. The easiest and best way to do this is to cycle more. You can either set a route and ride it (and increase the distance each time), or better yet just go off in one direction for a couple hours and then find your way home. If you've never done 50 miles before, don't worry- you can do 50 miles. All it takes is a bit of determination.

If you're still doing your barbecue then I'll take you out on a ride and help you out.
    English Cycles V3 | Cervelo P5 | Cervelo T4 | Trek Domane Koppenberg