Recommend me a ladies bike for the better half?

wesimmo
wesimmo Posts: 3
edited May 2013 in Women's cycling forum
I have no idea about bikes at all so am hoping someone might be able to help.

The better half has decided she wants to get a bike for the summer, it will be used to nip around the local area, mainly roads, cycle paths and gravelled tarmac tracks. So i was thinking some sort of hybrid.

Possibly she'll get a trailer to drag our daughter along too sometimes. So possibly more gears rather than less?

I'm not looking to spend a fortune, probably around £200-250, but willing to go a little higher if it's recommended to get what she needs.

I do get 10% off Halfords stuff through a work rewards scheme, but does that discount get swallowed up by their pricing anyway?

In terms of styling, she doesn't want a ladies shopping bike, she does like this Carrera styling.

Thanks.

Comments

• stannie
    stannie Posts: 167
    I have a Scott Sportster 50 which would be the ideal sort of bike. It has 700c wheels and a bit of suspension so is comfy on tracks/ gravel but is also good on the road. They are a bit more than you want to pay, but you may be able to get a good second hand one ( in fact I would sell you mine which has had virtually no use if you are in the Manchester/Peak District area.)
    Whatever she decides, it doesn't necessarily need to be a ladies bike - a men's bike might fit her well.
    ....................................................................................................
    Waterford RS-14
    Trek Domane SL6
    Ridley Noah SL

A woman can never have too many bikes!
  • marylogic
    marylogic Posts: 355
    I have a ridgeback element hybrid which is a great bike.

http://www.realcycles.com/m49b181s308p0 ... CK/Leisure

It's really quite light for a hybrid and robust too - I use it for carting my daughter about in - either in a child seat or the "carriage" (trailer)

The gearing is excellent with a good low uber granny gear for getting up hills. (26 front 32 rear)

Again a little more than you want to spend - could she use a bike to work scheme?
  • lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    http://www.cube.eu/en/tour/cross/ltd-cls-pro-lady/ - This one. Great spec, light enough, rolls beautifully, very comfortable (so she tells me).
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • wesimmo
    wesimmo Posts: 3
    Thanks for the replies, i will have a little peruse through them and, more importantly, see what she says!