'09 Trance X5 front shifter issue - input welcome!

idiotdogbrain
idiotdogbrain Posts: 181
edited May 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
Morning all :)

Just picked up a used '09 Trance X5 as a replacement for the OH, having some issues with the front shifter. Spec is standard - Shimano M442 chainset (Octalink), Deore Mega9 front mech and shifter. Seller replaced the BB but chainline seems spot on at 50mm.

Problem is that with the mech stops wound all the way out and no cable tension, in the two lowest sprockets the chain is rubbing on the inner face of the mech. AFAIK it hasn't been moved from its factory position. It also means that in the same sprockets the same is happening on the middle ring.

I'm stumped - any ideas!?
::'11 Pitch Pro::

Comments

• Greer_
    Greer_ Posts: 1,716
    Lowest sprocket as in biggest ring or smallest ring on cassette?
  • idiotdogbrain
    Largest sprocket - believe me, I know better than to cross-chain!
  • Greer_
    Greer_ Posts: 1,716
    Was just asking so I knew what you meant! Have you set it up properly including the rotational angle? The chain will always still rub in some combinations.
  • stu8975
    stu8975 Posts: 1,334
    Chainline maybe 50mm...but what was it before the bb was changed?

Normally 47.5 - 50mm for that chainset from Shimano specs..

Seller has prob had a 47.5mm chainline and bought a longer axled bb.
  • idiotdogbrain
    Yeah, I checked online and general consensus is that the '09 Trance X should run a 50mm chainline. It is entirely possible that the seller switched in a shorter-axled BB as I know he was running it as a double with a bash. 47.5mm chainline would make the problem even worse!
  • stu8975
    stu8975 Posts: 1,334
    Pics of front mech area?

Have you checked for debris etc to make sure nothing jammed? Used to clean my anthem mech out with a toothbrush to get properly in there (i've had a tiny stone stuck in there that limited my shifting). Pull it out by hand and stick a bristly brush in there and give it a wiggle.

Back end of the bike straight? bent the swingarm on my 1st anthem.
  • idiotdogbrain
    Rechecked the chainline, looks like it's actually 46-47mm I reckon - think the replacement BB's axle is just a little too short!