Really stoked with myself!

ct8282
ct8282 Posts: 414
edited May 2013 in Road beginners
Today was my third time out ever on a road bike. I used to ride MTB about 3 years ago and haven't ridden a bike since then but I've always been a huge fitness fanatic, doing 4 to 5 heavy weight sessions per week and running lots.
I went out for my first proper ride on Thursday evening using the Strava app for the first time and realised just how quick you seasoned riders are when I compared my first set of times on Strava!! Here's the link.

https://www.strava.com/activities/54681335

This morning I wanted to go out and have a look at the dreaded Rusper Hill which I used to tackle in my MTB days. Its been playing on my mind since I got my road bike 3 weeks ago so I cycled over that way to size it up but before I knew it I was committed as I was half way up and there's no way to pull out at that stage. I was in my lowest gear and off the saddle but I managed to drag myself up, painfully! I forgot how brutal that hill is and it didn't help when I hit a wet patch and my rear wheel span. Anyway, it may seem trivial to those of you who know the hill and fly up it, but I feel I have achieved something this morning.

Anyhow, more importantly when heading home I wanted to improve my 'Horsham Home Straight' time from my first effort which was pants. Its a cracking bit of road and I just went for it and couldn't believe I've posted 4th place overall. Mega stoked now. Here's the Strava.

https://www.strava.com/activities/55017535

I really felt like I was flying today and now I see just how addictive this game is. I can't wait to get out again. I hope you guys and gals are all having a great weekend of riding too. Now I just need to build my distances.

Comments

• KevChallis
    KevChallis Posts: 646
    nice one mate!! I think it's all about what goals you set yourself :)

I went out and did my first 50 miles this morning 2 weeks after getting my bike and achieved a higher average to what I aimed for too, seen a few topics like these recently, must be down to the better weather!!
    Kev
    PlanetX Pro Carbon
    Voodoo Bizango
  • ct8282
    Great stuff. Next thing I think is to start working on the distances. I found on Thursday and today that I only really start to feel settled in to the ride after about 10 miles or so. After that my legs feel comfortable and the burning achy pain seems to subside, and my ass kind of gets used to the saddle by then. I didn't really want to stop today. Just felt like I could have done another 15 miles comfortably.
  • Cleat Eastwood
    Cleat Eastwood Posts: 7,508
    Very well done - its nice to have a marker like a big hill that you can aim for too - dont forget to include a few easy rides too and just get used to enjoying the bike.
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • ct8282
    Thanks Cleat. I will do. I just checked my speed coming back down the Rusper Hill and I clocked 40.7mph! It was pretty darn terrifying to be honest. It kept going through my mind what would happen if I came off at that speed. Not really the best thing to be thinking about as I was holding on to the bars for dear life.

Perhaps an easier ride next time is the right way to go.
  • elderone
    elderone Posts: 1,410
    Well done,and your average speed is well respectable.Strava is very addictive and a great tool,but has been said,start to build your distance and not worry to much about averages as you go further.
    Good luck and enjoy.
    Dulce et decorum est Pro patria mori
  • ct8282
    Thanks elderone. I've been training aggressively for around 8 years now and I'm very focused and competitive with myself so this app is right up my street as it will allow me to measure my performance.

I have a mega busy lifestyle with my family, gym, photography and flying so short sharp efforts are more convenient for me. I don't think doing 100 milers will fit into my schedule but I'll definitely aim for the 50 mile mark as I could get out early on the weekends and get this in before the day really starts.