my first 50 Miles DONE!! chuffed

KevChallis
KevChallis Posts: 646
edited May 2013 in Road beginners
I am chuffed to bits, picked my bike up 2 weeks ago, and have been putting a few miles in in the week, my longest ride up to now was 37 miles last weekend in the awful wind!! today I achieved my first 50 miles :D and damn it feels good, there were tough moment at 42-44 miles where I felt like I was about to hit the floor, and a diversion for a road closure, which took me up a nasty hill instead of being on the flat,

I aimed to stick to 16mph average, but ended up bettering that and achieving 16.5mph and a 50 mile time of 3.03, what difference would I expect from riding in a pair, or a trio? a couple of my mates go out but they are at 17-18mph pace across 40miles, could I ride at their pace, is it easier to ride with others?

incase anybody is interested... http://www.strava.com/activities/55012964

Happy Kev, going for a shower lol.....

:D:D
Kev
PlanetX Pro Carbon
Voodoo Bizango

Comments

• Cleat Eastwood
    Cleat Eastwood Posts: 7,508
    Well played - I bet you were watching the phone counting the miles near the end - the .3 of 50.3 means everything.

Its sooo much easier riding with others, part of it is cycle-ogical :lol: in that the time just seems to fly by and you're so busy chatting or watching a wheel that you dont notice the speed go up, and the micro breaks are more often - so you feel you have more energy.

Good stuff.
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • elderone
    elderone Posts: 1,410
    Well done,thats a great ride and average for 2 weeks riding.Best way to see if you can keep up is to just go and see what happens.The way your going I wouldn,t put it past you.Kudos.
    Dulce et decorum est Pro patria mori
  • KevChallis
    cheers guys, I appreciate the feedback, and yes, I had to put an extra small loop on to guarantee the 50 miles :)
    Kev
    PlanetX Pro Carbon
    Voodoo Bizango
  • captain_kirk
    captain_kirk Posts: 105
    Well done! After completing my first 50 yesterday, I've just been and done a 36 (which hurt - a lot!)
    Good average speed as well!
  • supermurph09
    supermurph09 Posts: 2,471
    The difference is huge riding with someone else or a group, where you may have some difficulty is when you start going uphill! :wink:
  • KevChallis
    agreed, hill training is on the agenda for Tuesday lol
    Kev
    PlanetX Pro Carbon
    Voodoo Bizango
  • ashleydwsmith
    ashleydwsmith Posts: 693
    Chapeau, and a top 10 as well!

AWesome.
  • Sprool
    Sprool Posts: 1,022
    well done, it s a big milestone and a good pace. Whats your next target?
  • KevChallis
    I haven't thought about my next target yet, need some Hill training to get my Hill speed up as its my major downfall at the moment, then get my average speed up, then hopefully a 100 miler before the end of the year
    Kev
    PlanetX Pro Carbon
    Voodoo Bizango
  • islwyn
    islwyn Posts: 650
    Well played - I bet you were watching the phone counting the miles near the end - the .3 of 50.3 means everything.
    Good stuff.

Hilarious. I remember doing the BMC 100 mile STRAVA challenge once, I got back to the house at 99.1, was so peeved, I did the rest up and down the street constantly watching.
  • paul_mck
    paul_mck Posts: 1,058
    youll defo ride better with a couple of mates if they are a little faster than you.
  • wruds
    wruds Posts: 74
    Well done! After completing my first 50 yesterday, I've just been and done a 36 (which hurt - a lot!)
    Good average speed as well!

Done my first 50 of the year yesterday. I have been out of the saddle for the best part of a year, only returning a couple weeks ago with a daily commute of 4 miles, and building up with 17, 20's, 30's and my 50 yesterday. I was tempted to do a 60 but just before I set off changed to a 50. I feel great nonetheless!!

I am quite chuffed with myself as I paced it out averaging about 15mph, and I felt at the end I could have gone on, so all in all a v good ride. Bring on 60+!!
  • markhewitt1978
    markhewitt1978 Posts: 7,614
    I take it that you aren't new to cycling but this is a new bike? After 2 weeks cycling I could barely manage 10 miles nevermind 50!

I know what you mean about being nearly there, I did a 100km ride yesterday - my previous longest being 50km. I got back to the car and my GPS was showing 99.1km, which wouldn't do so I went up and down the road a bit :D
  • KevChallis
    No, I am new to cycling full stop, I had a mountain bike but not been out on it since June last year, I do a bit of running but just getting back from an injury, so really, yes, I am new to cycling lol
    Kev
    PlanetX Pro Carbon
    Voodoo Bizango
  • markhewitt1978
    KevChallis wrote:
    No, I am new to cycling full stop, I had a mountain bike but not been out on it since June last year, I do a bit of running but just getting back from an injury, so really, yes, I am new to cycling lol

Then you are a superman, I've been cycling now for 8 months and only just managed to struggle through 50 miles. The very idea of doing 50 miles after 2 weeks seems madness!
  • Gazzareth
    Gazzareth Posts: 17
    Well done, especially after just 2 weeks. I have yet to get a 50 in, which is my target for this year, working on speed and hills first.

G
  • KevChallis
    KevChallis wrote:

Then you are a superman, I've been cycling now for 8 months and only just managed to struggle through 50 miles. The very idea of doing 50 miles after 2 weeks seems madness!

Lol, I'm certainly no superman haha, wish I was, just committed to doing everything well to the best I think I can, that's why I'm attacking lots of big hills around here tomorrow, then most Tuesdays until I get my speed up
    Kev
    PlanetX Pro Carbon
    Voodoo Bizango
  • jimbod75
    jimbod75 Posts: 55
    I to managed to achieve my first 50 miles in almost 3 hours dead, did 55.5 in total the last 5 of which were tough but still a great feeling and one I will do again soon :D
  • KevChallis
    jimbod75 wrote:
    I to managed to achieve my first 50 miles in almost 3 hours dead, did 55.5 in total the last 5 of which were tough but still a great feeling and one I will do again soon :D

Mine is planned for Sunday weather depending lol
    Kev
    PlanetX Pro Carbon
    Voodoo Bizango
  • Fingerbobs
    Fingerbobs Posts: 39
    On Sunday my 14 year old boy and I did the BHF Cotswold Bike Ride, a 40 mile loop, but persuaded him that we should cycle home to rack up his first 50 miler. I'm very chuffed with him, he really enjoyed it and coped with the undulations well considering his lack of prep and a bike made of pig iron.

He's got the bug now though, and I've just got a new cycling buddy :D
  • KevChallis
    Fingerbobs wrote:
    On Sunday my 14 year old boy and I did the BHF Cotswold Bike Ride, a 40 mile loop, but persuaded him that we should cycle home to rack up his first 50 miler. I'm very chuffed with him, he really enjoyed it and coped with the undulations well considering his lack of prep and a bike made of pig iron.

He's got the bug now though, and I've just got a new cycling buddy :D

That's cool!! Can't wait for my boy to be old enough to ride a distance, gets then a way from bloody computers.

Just done another 33, first time I have ridden worth somebody else, he is also faster than me, and really pushed me, achieved 17mph average in rubbish windy conditions so chuffed with that ride too
    Kev
    PlanetX Pro Carbon
    Voodoo Bizango
  • P34RC3
    P34RC3 Posts: 37
    My furthest so far is about 30mile lol. Iv recently got a new road bike and iv only riden road bikes for 8months maybe. Im just about to go out and do another 30miles same route i did yesterday. Not sure if i can do 50 yet. 30 is killing me by the time im finished im so tired and hungry lol. Any tips? Im doing 30 miles in about 1hour 50mins which i think was a avg of 15mph or there abouts.
  • KevChallis
    If you are getting back hungry then take some high carb food out with you, I go by the saying easy before you're hungry and drink before you're thirsty.

I am 28 and relatively fit before starting cycling, pace yourself, try adding another mile ontothe end, if you have taken food with you then you won't be as tired or hungry
    Kev
    PlanetX Pro Carbon
    Voodoo Bizango
  • gubber12345
    gubber12345 Posts: 493
    kudos kev well done pal.got my first 50 about a month ago with a near mirror image of your time and speed.well chuffed to but took me a lot longer than 2 wks to get there...some goin my friend well done.

the 100 mile mark will be wee buns to u....prob by the end of the month the way your progressing :lol::lol: :P
    Lapierre Aircode 300
    Merida
  • markhewitt1978
    P34RC3 wrote:
    My furthest so far is about 30mile lol. Iv recently got a new road bike and iv only riden road bikes for 8months maybe. Im just about to go out and do another 30miles same route i did yesterday. Not sure if i can do 50 yet. 30 is killing me by the time im finished im so tired and hungry lol. Any tips? Im doing 30 miles in about 1hour 50mins which i think was a avg of 15mph or there abouts.

If you can do 30 miles at 15mph, then that's good! You should be able to do 50 miles, or at least 40 miles without too much worry, just scale back the speed a couple of mph, and as said take some food with you and take a couple of breaks while you eat it, you'll be right.

My biggest advantage in doing 60 miles was it was an organised sportive, so I have incentive to complete the course, if I was on my own I would have taken a short cut home!
  • Guanajuato
    Guanajuato Posts: 399
    ... take some food with you and take a couple of breaks while you eat it, you'll be right.
    I did my first 50 miler on Tuesday. And I'd echo that about food.
    At about 40 miles, I started feeling really hungry, then went a bit woosy and was starting to feel faint. I stopped for a few minutes, finished off my drink then walked for a bit. That gave me enough rest to pootle the last 13 or so miles. Next time I'll make sure I take some food with me as well as an energy drink. Got a 68 mile hilly sportive coming up, but there's two food stops, so I'm fairly confident I can do that, even if I'm not setting any records (well, except for the slowest finisher!).
  • P34RC3
    P34RC3 Posts: 37
    Well i went for a ride yesterday with my mate. All i can say was it was a pointless ride lol. My mate hasnt bin out for over a month on his bike and the target was my 30mile route. lets just say we did 25 and the average was 14mph lol! He kept cramping ect so i just slowed down with him which was a shame cuz before winter we were pushing each other abit and the rides were good. Hope iv kick started him back into it tho. Im going out for a ride monday with another mate who is big into riding so hope its going to push me. Ill see about taking a snack with me this time. Bikes getting serviced sat so cant wait. Iv got some new pedals too. The sort that you clip into cant remember what there called now lol. Hoping that will help me when it comes to hills ect.
  • KevChallis
    P34RC3 wrote:
    Well i went for a ride yesterday with my mate. All i can say was it was a pointless ride lol. My mate hasnt bin out for over a month on his bike and the target was my 30mile route. lets just say we did 25 and the average was 14mph lol! He kept cramping ect so i just slowed down with him which was a shame cuz before winter we were pushing each other abit and the rides were good. Hope iv kick started him back into it tho. Im going out for a ride monday with another mate who is big into riding so hope its going to push me. Ill see about taking a snack with me this time. Bikes getting serviced sat so cant wait. Iv got some new pedals too. The sort that you clip into cant remember what there called now lol. Hoping that will help me when it comes to hills ect.

No such thing as a pointless ride in my opinion, saddle time is saddle time after all, like you say, hopefully it's kick started him now to get out more, don't get down about slow rides though, is all training :D
    Kev
    PlanetX Pro Carbon
    Voodoo Bizango
  • seejay
    seejay Posts: 11
    Wow, very well done. Especially after getting the bike for 2 weeks.
    I start round about the same time and I am slowly revving it up, hopefully hit a 50miler soon. And Averaging 16mpg solo over 50mile is brill!
  • KevChallis
    16mpg is cheating :D
    Kev
    PlanetX Pro Carbon
    Voodoo Bizango