Voodoo Hoodoo Questions

MrGrin
MrGrin Posts: 2
edited May 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
Hello, I'm new here and to Mountain biking generally so go easy on me.

I recently got myself a Voodoo Hoodoo from Halfords after reading all the amazing reviews, took it for its first ride and it worked a treat, so I decided to go a bit downhill on it and since then it hasn't been the same :( I did fall off a few times though (as I said I am new to this)

Anyway, first question. My front brake seems to be awful, it's a Tektro Gemini Hydraulic disc brake, basic issue is that the wheel doesn't run free, I therefore trued the wheel to rid of the small buckle it had, still won't run free, I then realised my piston wasn't positioned right, so I had to push it back in, then wheel in and locked in etc it worked fine, and all of a sudden same again, I look at the caliper and Boom, piston comes out of place again, I keep having to repeat this and it's really annoying.
The only solution I can think of is bleeding it or trying to see if they can warranty me a replacement.
I can't help wonder if I'm doing something wrong or If I just got a bad egg.

Another issue is the back brake, I was made aware of this when I got the bike, the level itself is quite slack until I pump it around 3-5 times, then it's amazing, I don't understand why this might be, possibly air in the system?

This is the final but very silly question.
Other than cleaning it lots, is there any way I can not get crap loads of muck on my chainrings, this keeps getting on my legs and such, if not then is there any way I need to change my technique?

Any help would be greatly appreciated, Thanks a lot! :)

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Sounds like you need to read a manual before you ruin the brake!

First off truing a wheel rim has no effect on the hub and disc.

Second describe in precise terms what is happening, did a piston really come out, all the fluid behind it?

Sounds like all it needed was for the pistons to be pushed back and the caliper aligned.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Uli
    Uli Posts: 190
    Hi,
    Hoodoo is really nice bike but it is not downhill bike- whatever that means in your terms.
    Brakes:
    There seems to be few issues with new Tektro brakes. Get them back to Halfords if there is a problem. If you polite they are usually quite good in sorting things out under warranty.
    Muck:
    do you mean chainrings or on top of front derailleur? I have never had an issue with mud on chainrings.