Giant OCR

I7 Extreme
I7 Extreme Posts: 228
edited July 2013 in Your road bikes
I bought this frame in September and have been slowly building it up and today i took it for its first ride (even though its not finished). I still need a front derailleur and shifter, a longer chain and to put the handlebar tape on, I'm also hoping to upgrade the chainset sometime and get a slightly shorter stem.
8751919254_6cea13c10d_b.jpg

8751922318_50fbd5c99e_c.jpg

8751924944_c1e92b8aa0_z.jpg

8750794377_e701ac4a46_z.jpg

Comments

• notlongnow
    notlongnow Posts: 176
    Like the colour,is your chain the right size?it looks to be at full stretch there
  • I7 Extreme
    Nope, my chains not the right size which means i can't go into the easier gears unless i put it on the lower ring.
  • Cheshire Cat
    Cheshire Cat Posts: 309
    Lovely frame, better looking than the current crop of over manipulated carbon frames, the aero seat post is a nice touch and suits the look too.
    “Faster, Faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death.” Hunter S Thompson
  • ed_j
    ed_j Posts: 335
    Downtube front, STI rear?
  • I7 Extreme
    Ed J wrote:
    Downtube front, STI rear?
    I'm definitely having STI rear but I'm not sure if I should get an downtube front or an STI to match, i'm not even sure if i would be able to get a downtube shifter to fit. What do you think?
    i'd save weight buy getting a downtube and it's easier to take of wheel (qr on brake as well), but it would be more effort to change gear and look a bit odd.
  • ed_j
    Ah looking closer your frame doesn't have DT bosses so you can't I'm afraid!

I love DT shifters for the front mech, shifts much better, allows trimming, its lighter and looks cool, à la the doped up climbers of the '90s. Who hasn't got love for Pantani?

IMG_20130421_141743_zps40747799.jpg
  • I7 Extreme
    That's a pity, I used to have a downtube shifter on my old bike and I did like the smoothness of the gear changing and how little friction there was. I can see you've got a DT shifter for the front mech, I don't know why it's not more common. I love how your brake just blends in.
  • ed_j
    Thanks! I remember the first time I used a set of STIs. On the flat I thought blimey, this is amazing, and dropping to the little ring for a climb I thought, okay, still cool, but when I went to move back to the big ring I moved the paddle... and moved it some more! For me it just felt horrible, my fingers felt awfully stretched moving it across. No thanks!

The downtube shifter on my bike is carbon fibre as well 8)

Also check this out, it's pretty cool!

http://retroshift.com/
  • I7 Extreme
    Here's a picture with my new shifter - 9385723974_333f28338f_c.jpg
    and here's the stem, chain and front derailluer which I'll probably change to a 105 sometime (don't know why I bought a sora). I'm waiting till I've got the handlebars, stem, shifters, seatpost hight and saddle position setup right before I put on the handlebar tape . Unfortunately I need a new cassette to go with the new chain.
    9385731396_7c0ed47079_b.jpg