Are 5.10's worth the cash?

desmorrow
desmorrow Posts: 115
edited May 2013 in MTB buying advice
Lost a little confidence recently in terms of grip and was thinking of changing from my worn out runners to a decent pair of MTB shoes for flats... I hear five tens mentioned but they seem to retail at 70-80 - are they worth the cash? And if so, which model to go for?

Comments

• warpcow
    warpcow Posts: 1,448
    Sombrio's from Chainreaction. Can't comment on whether they're as good as 5.10s, but they're at least as good (with better grip) than my old Shimano AM41s, which I originally chose because they seemed to be more durable than 5.10s.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    I use Sombrios, worth what I paid from CRC, but I wouldn't pay RRP for those or 5.10's.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • eric_draven
    eric_draven Posts: 1,192
    I have used 5;10's they are unbeatable on grip,you have to lift your foot up off the pedal to alter it's position,your feet just don't move no matter how much of a rough ride your getting,used them on my DH bike for 5 years,if i was to get another DH rig,i would go back to 5;10's again
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Pretty much any shoe with a soft flat sole will feel like that with decent pinned pedals. I rode for years with trainers and have never had problems with feet moving.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Recently bought AM41's as I really didnt like how big and clompy the 5:10 were.
    Also, from what I read, 5:10's absorb water like a sponge!

The AM41's are sleeker and offer tonnes of grip. Coming from skate shoes, the increase in grip is incredible.
  • peter413
    peter413 Posts: 5,120
    I would definitely get the Sombrio's over 5.10's for most riding. I did a slight comparison on another forum so I'll just copy and paste it:
    I have the X Loam's and I haven't worn my Five Ten's since getting them, not even for a little bit of DH at Fort William. Nearly as grippy as the Five Ten's, lighter, stiffer, dry out way faster and look better IMO. Not to mention the fact they cost half as much and I suspect they will last longer. You can't miss them with the super bright orange soles either.

They don't feel as grippy if you don't have as much weight on the pedal but the design of the sole really interlocks with the pins on pedals really well, I've never felt I needed more grip and I find it just as hard to reposition my foot with them as I do with Five Ten's. Once you are actually standing on the pedals they have plenty of grip, far more grip than the cheaper Shimano flat shoes (I forget what they're called but they were the hideous ones with the snow camo soles) I've had as well. Like I say, I haven't reached for my Five Ten's since I got them.

I still have my Five Ten's and will buy another set when they wear out but I don't have to wear them often now since the Sombrio's are so good. Only get worn for DH/racing or when the Sombrio's are soaked but they usually dry overnight unless it's been truly pissing wet but it hasn't even been wet enough in Scotland for them not to be wearable the next day.
  • bazza333
    bazza333 Posts: 86
    AM41's .......... 5.10's were far to clumpy for me
  • eric_draven
    eric_draven Posts: 1,192
    Defo agree with northern monkey 5;10's certainly take on water by the bucket load
  • justkelly07
    justkelly07 Posts: 14
    AM41's all the way for me !!
  • Kowalski675
    Kowalski675 Posts: 4,412
    Defo agree with northern monkey 5;10's certainly take on water by the bucket load

I think flat shoe manufacturers are really missing a trick here - something like Five Tens or those Sombrios, but with a goretex lining would be so much more versatile.
  • sparky543
    sparky543 Posts: 54
    5.10 Impact's for when I know it's going to be dry as they soak up water like the stuff on those kitchen towel adverts. Any other time (read most of the year) AM41's. I do like the look of the Sombrio X Shazams though and at £45.00 I would take a punt if I needed a new pair of shoes.
  • Kowalski675
    Kowalski675 Posts: 4,412
    sparky543 wrote:
    5.10 Impact's for when I know it's going to be dry as they soak up water like the stuff on those kitchen towel adverts.

Yeah, i was looking at those in Stif on Thursday. Like the look of them, but I thought that full grain leather upper would take a long time to dry out once wet - a Goretex lining would solve all that.
  • Clank
    Clank Posts: 2,323

I think flat shoe manufacturers are really missing a trick here - something like Five Tens or those Sombrios, but with a goretex lining would be so much more versatile.

Nope.

Last thing my feet want is a shoe that retains water (which the 5:10s do really bloody well, sadly). Goretex trainers are great until water runs down your leg and fills the shoe, and you end up with an unwanted footbath.

Ditch fancy linings and give me a shoe that drains fast and dries just as quick (unlike 5:10s)!
    How would I write my own epitaph? With a crayon - I'm not allowed anything I can sharpen to a sustainable point.

Disclaimer: Opinions expressed herein are worth exactly what you paid for them.
  • Goggs-san
    Goggs-san Posts: 36
    Like others have said 5.10's hold too much water and with the UK's weather is not good.

I use AM41's for trail riding and dh, they have good grip, are durable and the leather flap over the laces keeps a lot of the water from soaking in.
  • Penylope
    Penylope Posts: 320
    Had some five10 impacts from her indoors for my birthday 3 years ago. Chuffed with them as a pressie, but wouldn't have paid full whack for them. Can only echo what others have said, really grippy but very clumpy on your feet and they hold water like a bucket. I tend to wear sealskins waterproof socks if there is a hint of rain or standing water about. Doesn't stop them taking on water but at least my feet stay dry! The one thing I will say that hasn't been said yet is they seem to be indestructible! 3 years hard use in all seasons with a few crashes and, apart from needing a clean, they hardly look used! Even from using long pins on several different pedals the soles are also pretty much intact.
    I'm sure there are shoes available for less that offer just as much grip, shed water a lot better and cost a fraction of a new pair of five10s.
    MTB's, SC Blur LTc & Cotic Soul (26" definitely aint dead!).
    Other, Genesis Croix De Fer
  • felix.london
    felix.london Posts: 4,067
    peter413 wrote:
    I would definitely get the Sombrio's over 5.10's for most riding. I did a slight comparison on another forum so I'll just copy and paste it:
    I have the X Loam's and I haven't worn my Five Ten's since getting them, not even for a little bit of DH at Fort William. Nearly as grippy as the Five Ten's, lighter, stiffer, dry out way faster and look better IMO. Not to mention the fact they cost half as much and I suspect they will last longer. You can't miss them with the super bright orange soles either.

They don't feel as grippy if you don't have as much weight on the pedal but the design of the sole really interlocks with the pins on pedals really well, I've never felt I needed more grip and I find it just as hard to reposition my foot with them as I do with Five Ten's. Once you are actually standing on the pedals they have plenty of grip, far more grip than the cheaper Shimano flat shoes (I forget what they're called but they were the hideous ones with the snow camo soles) I've had as well. Like I say, I haven't reached for my Five Ten's since I got them.

I still have my Five Ten's and will buy another set when they wear out but I don't have to wear them often now since the Sombrio's are so good. Only get worn for DH/racing or when the Sombrio's are soaked but they usually dry overnight unless it's been truly pissing wet but it hasn't even been wet enough in Scotland for them not to be wearable the next day.

Nice little review. What's the Sombrio sizing like compared to 5:10's?
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8
  • peter413
    peter413 wrote:

I found it to be just the same. FWIW I'm a 44 in Sombrio, Shimano, Salamon, Five Ten, Nike and Scott shoes.
  • paulneenan76
    paulneenan76 Posts: 777
    AM's here - top notch.
    Family, Friends, Fantastic trails - what else is there

viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12898838
    viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12897374
  • mcnultycop
    mcnultycop Posts: 2,143
    Teva Links. The laces are yellow, what more do you need?
  • felix.london
    peter413 wrote:
    peter413 wrote:

I found it to be just the same. FWIW I'm a 44 in Sombrio, Shimano, Salamon, Five Ten, Nike and Scott shoes.

What about width-ways?...I have narrow feet (I guess) and find my 5:10's a bit 'baggy' - would def go for something a bit tighter

Trek Session 8
  • peter413
    They're pretty much the same as Five Ten's width ways as well. Maybe size down if you have the room to or wear two pairs of socks.
  • felix.london
    peter413 wrote:
    They're pretty much the same as Five Ten's width ways as well. Maybe size down if you have the room to or wear two pairs of socks.

(half) Size down would work as on CRC there only seem to be half sizes anyway. Cheers

Trek Session 8
  • jairaj
    jairaj Posts: 3,009
    Shimano shoes are made narrower than most maybe give them a try.