Nibali riding himself into .... (potential Giro Spoiler)

plectrum
plectrum Posts: 225
edited May 2013 in Pro race
.....favourite for the TdF?

He is looking as the strongest GT overall mountain rider in the world currently and it very much looks as if he will be able to win this year's Giro at a canter and by taking it slightly easier in the last week may well roll straight into le Tour in prime form.

If his race calendar doesn't include le Tour then please ignore this thread!

Comments

• Daz555
    Daz555 Posts: 3,976
    Last I read he was not doing the Tour. Even if he was I would not place him favourite.
    You only need two tools: WD40 and Duck Tape.
    If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.
    If it shouldn't move and does, use the tape.
  • plectrum
    Daz555 wrote:
    Last I read he was not doing the Tour. Even if he was I would not place him favourite.

Daz555 - really his TT has massively improved and it isn't a major decider, he is versatile on a variety of ascents both lengths and steepness and he does look more in form than anyone also Sky whichever way you look at it will be split. As for the other contendors such as Contedor, he really hasn't looked a genuine GC winner since returning from the ban and perhaps as a consequence of riding clean. I still feel Movistar and possibly Quintana are going to be the real surprise but whether that is PED fuelled or not is another concern.
  • alihisgreat
    alihisgreat Posts: 3,872
    Froome has to be the favourite at the moment..

then the Dauphine will have the final say as to who is favourite going into the tour.
    Daz555 - really his TT has massively improved and it isn't a major decider, he is versatile on a variety of ascents both lengths and steepness and he does look more in form than anyone also Sky whichever way you look at it will be split. As for the other contendors such as Contedor, he really hasn't looked a genuine GC winner since returning from the ban and perhaps as a consequence of riding clean. I still feel Movistar and possibly Quintana are going to be the real surprise but whether that is PED fuelled or not is another concern.

Except that time he won La Vuelta last year?
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    Good luck to anyone trying for the Giro Tour double in the same year.

viewtopic.php?t=12661621
    Contador is the Greatest
  • secretsqirrel
    secretsqirrel Posts: 2,037
    As far as I am aware Fuglsang is leading Astana for the TdF. It's not in Nibs schedule for this year, the Giro is his target race.
  • plectrum
    SS - thanks oh well redundant thread!
  • plectrum
    Froome has to be the favourite at the moment..

then the Dauphine will have the final say as to who is favourite going into the tour.

Except that time he won La Vuelta last year?

oh yah ... oops short term memory.
  • secretsqirrel
    secretsqirrel Posts: 2,037
    plectrum wrote:
    SS - thanks oh well redundant thread!

Never say never. You never know, Astana might change their plans.

Just as Sky might :?
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,174
    As far as I am aware Fuglsang is leading Astana for the TdF. It's not in Nibs schedule for this year, the Giro is his target race.

Jeez, is he really their plan A for the Tour? Nibs knackered from the Giro is a better option and Tiralongo would be preferable!
  • greasedscotsman
    greasedscotsman Posts: 6,962
    Pross wrote:
    Jeez, is he really their plan A for the Tour? Nibs knackered from the Giro is a better option and Tiralongo would be preferable!

I'm sure Contador would agree!
  • thomthom
    thomthom Posts: 3,574
    I've said it plenty of times in the Wiggins discussion as well - you can't win both.

Unless you want entry in the Roche, Indurain, Pantani-club. And you don't.
  • Daz555
    Daz555 Posts: 3,976
    ThomThom wrote:
    I've said it plenty of times in the Wiggins discussion as well - you can't win both.
    With the right route it is possible to win both - if unlikely.
    You only need two tools: WD40 and Duck Tape.
    If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.
    If it shouldn't move and does, use the tape.