Skipping gears - how to tell if chainring is worn

Greer_
Greer_ Posts: 1,716
edited May 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
Shimano XT cassette
KMC X9.93 chain
Shimano Deore Chainset

Hi all, recently changed the chain and cassette, and the chain is now skipping under load on the middle chainring - doesn't occur on the big or small ring. (Chain won't drop into the granny ring either as it seems to stick, but I don't see any problems with the indexing). The big ring is what I normally use so it, if anything, should be more worn than the middle ring which doesn't appear worn at all.

Any ideas on the cause? I reckon its a new middle chainring needed, but it doesn't appear worn so not sure if that'll fix it.

Comments

• Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    I think you'll be surprised, you'll use the middle more. Just get a new one.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    If it won't drop to the granny, you obviously have a problem somewhere, so I'd sort that out first.
    And it is likely to be indexing or front mech adjustment. What else did you do apart from change the bits?
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Greer_
    Greer_ Posts: 1,716
    Changed the chain/cassette and reindexed, the chain isn't touching/rubbing the FD when its slipping so I really don't think thats the problem. Can get a new chainring here but don't want to throw money at it if that's not the problem.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Throwing money at problems is the standard BR method though, so you might as well.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    The middle chainring wears more as there are less teeth in contact with the chainrollers....

Get a close up photo of the middle ring and compare to the outer.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.