Metallic clanging from forks

santahul
santahul Posts: 91
edited May 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi guys I've always been a retro bike rider but I was recently offered a barely used 2006 Giant Reign 3 for a really good price so I've got my first remotely modern bike. Everything was fine at first but I pumped the pressure in the forks up quite high recently (approx 150psi) to use the bike on the road and when I dropped it down again afterwards they seem to have developed a problem.

They're RockShox Tora 302 Solo Air's and they seemed reasonably smooth when I got the bike but since pumping the pressure up and dropping it again they've started making a clanging noise whenever they top out. It literally feels like two blocks of metal banging together and sends a jolt up through the handlebars. I've played around with the pressure and dampers to no avail.

I've done a bit of research and read that some RockShox of this era suffered from a top-out clunking problem but as far as I can tell it was just u-turn forks that suffered from this and mine aren't u-turn. Besides it seems more of a clang than a clunk.

Sorry if this seems an obvious problem to you guys but I've never opened a modern fork before (and I'm not much good with older ones). I can't find the manual online anywhere, only the 2007 manual which says there isn't a Tora 302 Solo Air? I'm guessing I've blown a seal or something but I wouldn't really know where to start. I'm also seriously trying to sort my finances this year so if anybody can suggest how to get started then I would really really appreciate it.

Steve

Comments