10sp single chainring.

The Northern Monkey
The Northern Monkey Posts: 19,174
edited May 2013 in MTB buying advice
Just wondering, if I'm running a single ring up front on a 10sp setup, does it matter what chainring I get - ie 9/10sp, just as long as its single ring specific?

I think its the chain width thats different between 9sp and 10sp so as I'd only have a ring, it shouldn't matter what chainring it is.

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    the teeth are the same.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    Yep any will work. I'm a fan of e-thirteen guide rings, but as my original is on its last legs I've ordered a works components narrow/wide for extra security and I can ditch the full on DH guide for a top guide. Should save around 150g!!
  • Yeah seen the works one, looks nice!

I just want something cheap, hardly use the granny or big and I dont mind a grind in the middle... thinking 32 up front for xc duties?
  • Cheers for replies btw, will get searching tomorrow!
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    A 32t should be fine for XC, I use a 34t but have an 11-36 cassette, but either should be fine, depends if you want an easier climb or abit more on descents. The works one looks really made, haven't got it yet but excited to try it out! Judging by the quality of the headsets I'm sure they'll be very good!
  • Yeah I need to get a works headset for my Canyon... this xc training malarkey has taken priority at the mo though, money went on a bigger frame for now.

Hmm seen a few on CRC, cheapest is a pink one lmao.
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    +another for the Works one, looks good.
  • felix.london
    felix.london Posts: 4,067
    Got Blackspire singles on the Session (Downhill) and the Snap (Mono Veloce) - both 34t and seem decent...although think I might change to a 32t on the Sesh this season
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8