Paint chipped on Brand new Giant TCR

ct8282
ct8282 Posts: 414
edited May 2013 in Road beginners
So I only got my TCR Advanced a couple of weeks ago and so far I've only put 20 miles on her. I was checking the bike over before a quick ride earlier and noticed that a small, maybe around 5 or 6mm piece of paint was hanging off right at the end of the right side front fork. I touched it gently and it just flaked off exposing the carbon underneath.

Question is, is this normal? Seeing as its brand new should I contact Giant and explain the issue to see if they will swap the forks over. Or would you guys just ignore it completely seeing as its more or less out of site?

My concern I suppose is that the Carbon is exposed. Will this be affected by water or dirt?

Comments

• elderone
    elderone Posts: 1,410
    I,d get back to giant,or the place you got it.least they can say whether it,s a fault or stone chip or something else.
    Better to know either way.
    Dulce et decorum est Pro patria mori
  • ct8282
    It's definitely not a stone chip. The paint has just flaked off.
  • declan1
    declan1 Posts: 2,470
    Definitely contact Giant. The paint will probably flake off even more if you leave it.

Road - Dolan Preffisio
    MTB - On-One Inbred

I have no idea what's going on here.
  • gozzy
    gozzy Posts: 640
    Exposed carbon dissolves in water, so you'd best get in touch with Giant.
  • lawrences
    lawrences Posts: 1,011
    Gozzy wrote:

Don't be stupid.
  • napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    lawrences wrote:
    Gozzy wrote:

Don't be stupid.

Why so serious?
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • ct8282
    Gozzy wrote:

I am assuming this is not actually the case??

I called the Giant UK office and got a recorded message saying 'our offices are now closed until Wednesday 2nd January. Have a great Christmas'.

Oh dear.
  • declan1
    You should be able to take it back to the LBS you bought it from and they will contact Giant for you.

Road - Dolan Preffisio
    MTB - On-One Inbred

• team47b
    team47b Posts: 6,424
    lawrences wrote:
    Gozzy wrote:

Don't be stupid.

Pot/kettle :D
    my isetta is a 300cc bike
  • Wobbit
    Wobbit Posts: 91
    Had a similar issue with my carbon defy but on the seat post. Took it to my lbs and they replaced it and contacted giant for me.
    Neilpryde Alize - Kinesis 4S - Cube Ltd
  • lawrences
    team47b wrote:
    lawrences wrote:
    Gozzy wrote:

Don't be stupid.

Point me to a single scientific test where water has eroded carbon.

I've had a pair of rowing oars with carbon fibre spoons which have frayed to expose some carbon and after 4 years they haven't melted to a gloopy mess. Stop spreading these stupid horror stories. Carbon and its resin is far less reactive than a steel frame for example.
  • declan1
    lawrences wrote:
    team47b wrote:
    lawrences wrote:
    Gozzy wrote:

Don't be stupid.

Come on, everyone knows carbon dissolves in water...

Road - Dolan Preffisio
    MTB - On-One Inbred

• gozzy
    gozzy Posts: 640
    It's why there's always crashes when it's wet in bike races, the forks start to soften and riders lose control.
  • lawrences
    Gozzy wrote:
    It's why there's always crashes when it's wet in bike races, the forks start to soften and riders lose control.

:roll: lol
  • lotus49
    lotus49 Posts: 763
    lawrences wrote:
    Good grief. It was a joke.

There have been a few threads here in the past where retailers or manufacturers have tried to suggest that damage to a carbon bike was caused by water. It is an absurd excuse and it has become a bit of a joke here because it's so silly. Yes, we know that carbon doesn't really dissolve in water.
  • ct8282
    declan1 wrote:
    You should be able to take it back to the LBS you bought it from and they will contact Giant for you.

LBS was in in Norfolk. I am in Horsham West Sussex. Was an internet order so getting it back to them wont be easy, at all.

I suppose if they are happy to replace the fork, I could just send that to them which wouldn't be too much trouble. I will try my luck with Giant first to see what they say.

Edit: Spoke to the LBS I bought the bike from. He said that this can be quite common because carbon is so stiff, and the paint is more flexible which means it can crack or flake in certain areas. He said to send a picture to them and they would contact Giant for me. Thing is the area of paint that has come off is very small so my guess is they'll just laugh and think I'm mad. I just wasn't expecting a £2000+ bike to have this kind of problem.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    ct8282 wrote:
    He said that this can be quite common because carbon is so stiff, and the paint is more flexible which means it can crack or flake in certain areas.

Lol! First time I have ever heard someone suggest that excess flexibility of paint causes cracking!
    lotus49 wrote:
    lawrences wrote:
    Good grief. It was a joke.

I'm pretty sure lawrences doesn't understand the concept of humour!
    Faster than a tent.......
  • ct8282
    Rolf F wrote:
    ct8282 wrote:
    He said that this can be quite common because carbon is so stiff, and the paint is more flexible which means it can crack or flake in certain areas.

Lol! First time I have ever heard someone suggest that excess flexibility of paint causes cracking!

Yeah, it sounded like horse crap to me too. It looks like the pressure from the quick release mechanism squeezing on that area is what's caused the paint to flake. It doesn't look too major and I don't think it should continue to flake up the fork so I'll keep my eyes on it for now.
  • nmt
    nmt Posts: 88
    OP when you say "right at the end" do I take it you mean where the quick release skewer clamps on ? just wondering as I think mine has also flaked where the quick release skewers fasten front and rear.
  • ct8282
    Yes mate. Pretty much exactly where you describe. Sounds like the pressure from the clamps is enough to affect the paint then
  • Kingsmill1
    Kingsmill1 Posts: 103
    Same thing happe des to my tcr comp 2 just where the front brake calliper sits on the fork took it back new fork ordered and will be replaced when it goes in for first service. Great bike my first carbon and boy does it hAndle well in the corners really pleased with it.
    Giant TCR Comp 2
    Specialized Allez Sport
  • ct8282 said:

So I only got my TCR Advanced a couple of weeks ago and so far I've only put 20 miles on her. I was checking the bike over before a quick ride earlier and noticed that a small, maybe around 5 or 6mm piece of paint was hanging off right at the end of the right side front fork. I touched it gently and it just flaked off exposing the carbon underneath.

Question is, is this normal? Seeing as its brand new should I contact Giant and explain the issue to see if they will swap the forks over. Or would you guys just ignore it completely seeing as its more or less out of site?

My concern I suppose is that the Carbon is exposed. Will this be affected by water or dirt?

what was the update with this case? did giant ended up replacing your fork?

• webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    I suspect you might not get many replies to 7 year old thread.
  • By now there will be a single flake of paint left on the bike.