Chamois cream

secretsam
secretsam Posts: 5,120
edited May 2013 in Road beginners
Slightly detailed question here, but here goes: how much should one put on, and where should it go? On you or the pad, and whereabouts? Lather it on or just a little? :oops: Sorry for slightly embarrassing topic but don't know what's "right"!

It's just a hill. Get over it.

Comments

• danlikesbikes
    danlikesbikes Posts: 3,898
    edited May 2013
    Some will say the pad, but my understanding is on your undercarriage/crack as for how much well depends really how how much junk you have in your trunk.

Not lather it on as in like you would with shave cream, but it does depend on the brand as some are much thicker than others. Personally I go for slightly smaller than walnut sized & well just apply however you feel like it, which for me is with a baby wipe as saves on the mess.
    Pain hurts much less if its topped off with beating your mates to top of a climb.
  • jagx400
    jagx400 Posts: 132
    I put it between the legs by the vegetables :D . Never had any chafing so must be right place for me. :D
  • zardoz
    zardoz Posts: 251
    If it looks like plums in clotted cream....then that's probably too much.
  • Camcycle1974
    Camcycle1974 Posts: 1,356
    Lol, grown men discussing creaming their genetalia. My approach is some on the nads, some on the pad. Don't forget inner thighs.
  • elderone
    elderone Posts: 1,410
    I put lots all over my nards,sit bone area and inner thighs,plus some on the pad.Also carry some in a little tub for longer rides.It,s a personal choice but any thing is better than getting sore.
    Dulce et decorum est Pro patria mori
  • peat
    peat Posts: 1,242
    I lightly cover the pad, then apply to my sitbones and inner thighs. Basically, anywhere that chafes when you ride without. It makes such a difference for me.

And i adore the feeling of 'have i sh@t myself?' at the start of the ride.
  • mrbrightside
    mrbrightside Posts: 214
    Sack to crack....
  • swarfega
    swarfega Posts: 7
    I thought about asking a question of my own regarding chamois cream but as this one was here I'll tag along as it's not really taking it off course...

Just how many people actually use chamois cream? Is it the case that you're making a big error in not using it on the longer rides?
  • Strith
    Strith Posts: 541
    Hard to say but I would imagine it's in the majority, particularly people who ride almost every day like myslef. That said, I've ridden over a 100 miles with guys who don't bother with any at all.
    Only you will know if you need it, at least try it. You might like it.
  • cerv50
    cerv50 Posts: 272
    I don't put any on myself but do put quite a good layer on the pad. Once I spread it up the front area of the pad to man sausage area and this made it sore to pee for a day or so. I use Assoss cream so beware lol
  • ademort
    ademort Posts: 1,924
    I,ve cycled for 35 years and never ever even tried the stuff. Perhaps i should give it a go. I have had some discomfort in the past usually when i,ve done a long ride on a new pair of shorts and find that they are not as suitable for 150Km plus rides as my Assos which i can wear all day and any distance.
    Ademort
    ademort
    Chinarello, record and Mavic Cosmic Sl
    Gazelle Vuelta , veloce
    Giant Defy 4
    Mirage Columbus SL
    Batavus Ventura
  • secretsam
    Peat wrote:
    I lightly cover the pad, then apply to my sitbones and inner thighs. Basically, anywhere that chafes when you ride without. It makes such a difference for me.

That is quite off-putting, isn't it...

• KevChallis
    KevChallis Posts: 646
    SecretSam wrote:
    Peat wrote:

That is quite off-putting, isn't it...

Just a light hearted joke I feel, what distances are you guys doing before you start thinking about cream? I did 50 miles at the weekend and didn't get sore, a numb ass but no soreness
    Kev
    PlanetX Pro Carbon
    Voodoo Bizango
  • marcusjb
    marcusjb Posts: 2,412
    Typically, I won't use cream on shorter rides - only if it is very hot or very wet.

Generally, I don't suffer from sores, but do think that creams make a good difference on longer distances.
  • djm501
    djm501 Posts: 378
    Same here - lucky me, although I did start to get sore on a 300 k ride I did at the weekend. No problems now though.

Just thought I'd relate something that amused me recently. I did a Sportive in Pembrokeshire the other weekend and at one of the feed stations there was a portaloo for ablutions. As the guy in there before me came out he enthusiastically told me that it had 'Both Sudocreme AND vaseline in there!'

Only in cycling circles would the information that such things are present in a public toilet be safe I think ;-)
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    @marcus ... just read your pbp write up... inspiring stuff!!!
  • marcusjb
    Mikey23 wrote:
    @marcus ... just read your pbp write up... inspiring stuff!!!

Thanks! It really is the best bike ride on the planet - so much fun. You DEFINITELY need bum cream for that one I assure you!
  • t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    whilst on topic - for those that have had kids - Sudocreme works just as well and is far cheaper.

Deep heat doesn't :D
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem
  • marcusjb
    t4tomo wrote:
    whilst on topic - for those that have had kids - Sudocreme works just as well and is far cheaper.

Conotrane is a bit easier to work with than Sudocreme (and cheaper still!). I use it mainly for post event recovery, but I know of many that use it as their lube of choice.
  • secretsam
    t4tomo wrote:

Deep heat doesn't :D

ROFL, I remember only too well the high jinks that could be had with Deep Heat from my rugby-playing days

The bigger they are, the louder they scream :lol: