Bike Sizing - whats the difference?

will_85
will_85 Posts: 84
edited May 2013 in Road beginners
So I'm finding bike sizing all a bit confusing... Im 6ft tall, and have been reccomended a 58cm frame size. The bike i currently have is a 54 and feels perfectly comfortable to me, i have however fitted a slightly longer stem than it originally came with. I use my bike predominately for commuting, so comfort is quite important...

What difference does it make having a bike that is larger or smaller than your recommended size? Does it make a huge difference? Surely if you had a smaller size frame you can still be comfortable by adjusting the seat hieght, stem position etc, or am i missing the point here?

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I think you are on the right track and are correctly questioning that recommendation.
    Too small is way way better than too big.
    Would have thought 56 would be as big as you should go unless its a brand where 58 is more like a 56. I would still say 56 max if you are not over 6ft though.
    Check the actual measurements against your adapted 54 framed bike.
  • I would expect a 54 to be too small for you. I'm half a foot smaller than you & I ride a 54. When I posted pics up on here with me on it everyone said I looked too cramped!!!

A 6 footer on my bike I would expect to look hideous!
    B'TWIN Triban 5A
    Ridgeback MX6
  • lc1981
    lc1981 Posts: 820
    Sizing isn't consistent across brands so while a 54 sounds too small and a 58 might be too big, it's impossible to say for sure which size you need without knowing which brand you're talking about. Also, height isn't the only factor to take into account. People of the same height often have very different leg and arm lengths to one another. Best thing to do is have a proper bike fit.

To answer your question, though, yes, getting the right size does matter a lot to comfort. That said, it is probably possible to get more than one size to fit by adjusting things like stem length. Generally the view is that it's easier to make a small bike fit than one that's too big.
  • Wirral_paul
    Wirral_paul Posts: 2,476
    As above, dont take too much notice of the nominal frame size. Have a look at the effective top tube and length of the head tube to work out which is the better size for you.
  • Bozman
    Bozman Posts: 2,518
    5'10" and I've got two 53s(TT) and both fit like a glove.
    If you do a search you'll probably find that 90% of 6' folk ride a 56 virtual TT, or 100% in my survey(consisting of two mates).
  • declan1
    declan1 Posts: 2,470
    I'm 6'1" and I ride a 59cm frame (120mm stem) which is perfect. Pros are now starting to ride smaller frames for more stiffness with really long stems and seatposts. If it fits, then ride it! :)

Road - Dolan Preffisio
    MTB - On-One Inbred

I have no idea what's going on here.
  • supermurph09
    supermurph09 Posts: 2,471
    I'm 6ft, first bike a Spesh Allez was a 56cm, 2nd bike a Cube is a 58cm. I guess you just need to sit on one to be sure.
  • will_85
    Cheers people, the reason im asking is i've been eyeing this up as a potential summer project - something to build up slowly & have some fun with, but the biggest frame size is 53......

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=90194

Would the smaller frame size mean i'd be positioned more up right? I have a 130mm stem and have just purchased some carbon forks with a curved blade.....

Or would this really be just too small??
  • declan1
    declan1 Posts: 2,470
    You would need a long seatpost with a lot of setback, like this:

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/thomson-elite-s ... seat-post/

And a really long stem. It would look pretty awesome though!

Road - Dolan Preffisio
    MTB - On-One Inbred

I have no idea what's going on here.
  • lc1981
    will_85 wrote:
    Cheers people, the reason im asking is i've been eyeing this up as a potential summer project - something to build up slowly & have some fun with, but the biggest frame size is 53......

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=90194

Would the smaller frame size mean i'd be positioned more up right? I have a 130mm stem and have just purchased some carbon forks with a curved blade.....

Or would this really be just too small??

As above, it completely depends on how Raleigh size their frames. A 53 Raleigh might be the same as a 56 Trek/Specialized/etc., for all we know without seeing information about the geometry.
  • will_85
    OK, Cheers for the input, its been helpful! Ill try and get some more info on the geometry & compare it to what im currently riding..... I quite fancy it as a summer project, im hardly what would be considered a season pro when it comes to road bikes lol, but im sure ill learn loads in the build up, no doubt ill get some things wrong, but thats all part of the fun no? 8)
  • lc1981
    I suppose that the worst that can happen is that the frame is too small, and you'll have to sell it on here, which wouldn't be a disaster given that it's not the most expensive of frames in the first place.
  • Grill
    Grill Posts: 5,610
    I would expect a 54 to be too small for you. I'm half a foot smaller than you & I ride a 54. When I posted pics up on here with me on it everyone said I looked too cramped!!!

This sort of advice without understanding the variables is terrible. Even if you remove the fact that sizing varies by manufacturer and model from the equation, you can't effectively judge the OP's morphology on a whim. I'm 5'11" and 3/4 and ride all my bikes in a 54. I used to ride 56's before based upon such recommendations and was never comfortable, so the answer is it's individual.

@OP- You can make a small fit with no real issue, but a frame that's too large will always be a compromise
    English Cycles V3 | Cervelo P5 | Cervelo T4 | Trek Domane Koppenberg
  • smoggysteve
    smoggysteve Posts: 2,909
    I'm 6ft, first bike a Spesh Allez was a 56cm, 2nd bike a Cube is a 58cm. I guess you just need to sit on one to be sure.

This. different manufacturers measure their frames differently. Also take into consideration geometry, sloping or straight frame.

I ride a 53cm Bianchi. If I was to get a Canyon which I looked at, I would need a 52cm not a big difference you say, I also looked at Dolan frames and they say a 44cm. 44!! How the hell do they work it out? Also My mate has a Scott Foil which is a 54cm. Its tiny compared to mine. Only way you will ever get it right is to sit on it. Even going off height is no guarantee as your leg and torso length need to be factored in.
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    I find the best way of comparing different frames is to measure the effctive top tube length, and also consider seat tube angle (steeper angle means you'll need a shorter top tube and more saddle set back).

Find a frame that fits you, and measure the effective top tube length, then try to find a frame with as close to that ETT length as you can.
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • Grill wrote:
    I would expect a 54 to be too small for you. I'm half a foot smaller than you & I ride a 54. When I posted pics up on here with me on it everyone said I looked too cramped!!!

This sort of advice without understanding the variables is terrible. Even if you remove the fact that sizing varies by manufacturer and model from the equation, you can't effectively judge the OP's morphology on a whim. I'm 5'11" and 3/4 and ride all my bikes in a 54. I used to ride 56's before based upon such recommendations and was never comfortable, so the answer is it's individual.

@OP- You can make a small fit with no real issue, but a frame that's too large will always be a compromise

It's NOT advice Grill, it's a contribution to a thread, more like added information. Look for the words "expect". No definites & no advice! :wink:
    B'TWIN Triban 5A
    Ridgeback MX6
  • ethanhayes
    ethanhayes Posts: 112

How do you find the cube?
    My mates 58cm measures up almost exactly the same as my bike, a 56!
    I