1x10 set up? 26inch wheel, anyone running this set up?

lee170
lee170 Posts: 236
edited May 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
I have just bought an on-one inbred 26er currently rigid fork upfront(plans to change to suss)
It has a 1x9 set up at the moment 34t upfront ad a 9 speed road cassette on the back. I have only had it a week and use it to commute with, the 1x9 is great for commuting but I plan to use it on the trails to,
Would this set up cause me any problems?
Would I be better with a 9/10 speed rear mtb cassette?
Would there be much difference between the road 9 ad the mtb 10 cassettes?
I love the simplicity of the single ring upfront and also the lightweight!!
I normally run a 3x9 on my hardtails but I never used the grannyring ever.
Is anyone else running either a 1x9 or 1x10 set up?

Currently no chain device, would I need one if going off road??
2015 orange crush
2015 cannondale super six evo

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    a cassette is a cassette. there are one with wide ranges and ones with close ranges.

to go to a 10 set up you will need to replace the cassette, the chain, the shifter and the rear mech.

so what do you want to do?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    If you go 1x10, you'd need new shifter, chain and derailer as well as the cassette. Though if you get a new larger cassette, you'd need a new longer chain anyhow.

Main difference is that a lot of 10 speed cassettes go up to 36, not 34.

Chain device will be needed to prevent the chain coming off.
  • lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    I had an Inbred 26 with a 1x9 set up with a Middleburn 34 tooth front ring and an 11-34 cassette. Didn't get caught out a lot, rode most things.

Just moved the whole lot over to my 29 frame with an adjustment of front ring and cassette sizes to give me the same gearing.
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • warpcow
    warpcow Posts: 1,448
    There are literally thousands of people using 1xX setups. Just choose ratios that work for you.

Personally a road cassette wouldn't go anywhere near my bike. It'd have me doing more walking than riding. 34t up front and 11-36t out back works for me.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Road cassettes tend to have similar high gears to MTB, just the low gears are different, so top end will be similar, but you'll struggle going up things.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    I run a road 1x9 (46/11-26) on my commuter but wouldn't run it on an MTB, 1x9 with 11-34 only looses you 'half a gear' compared to 1x10 11-36 (that is the difference between 34 and 36 is only half the percenetage of most the shifts across the cassette), I'd like to go 1x10 but it's a big cost in one hit!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.