Chainring guard for hike-a-biking

booktownman
booktownman Posts: 151
edited May 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
Anyone got a bodge / DIY for some kind of chainring guard I can stick around the big ring when hike-a-biking and carrying the bike French style? I'm really not comfortable with the proximity of chainring to face and neck. I have been shifting the chain on to the big ring, but still don't like it.

Cheers in advance,

BTM

Comments

• BG2000
    BG2000 Posts: 517
    I wasn't sure what you meant at first, but presumably you're carry your bike like this :

p4pb5807556.jpg

It doesn't look very practical. Are you resting the bike on a backpack or something ?

I'm not sure you can bodge anything. I think you'd need a dedicated triple bash-ring. If you're lucky you might find a cheapo plastic chainring guard but you'd probably have to drill holes in your outer chainring to screw the guard in place.

My preference would just be to change to a double with bash...You're talking about £80 for a good quality 36/42 setup that should give enough clearance on a triple crank.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Anyone got a bodge / DIY for some kind of chainring guard I can stick around the big ring when hike-a-biking and carrying the bike French style? I'm really not comfortable with the proximity of chainring to face and neck. I have been shifting the chain on to the big ring, but still don't like it.

Cheers in advance,

BTM
    what cranks and rings? triple or double or double and bash or single and bash or......................

give us a clue.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Shimano and truvative both do plastic guards that can screw through large rings, Suntour use the Shimano fitment ones.

You may need to swap your large ring for one with the holes!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • booktownman
    booktownman Posts: 151
    Thanks for the replies. It's a triple. Not really in the market for spending out for a double and bash set up as this is really only for a one-off event that's going to require some carrying.

BG2000 - carrying a bike up any steep section is pretty impractical, whatever way you do it, and especially when it's a burly aluminium full susser. The method in the pic is actually pretty comfortable as you take most of the weight across your upper back and shoulders. The worry is that a stumble to the left puts the chain ring in your neck or face.

What I'm looking for is some kind of wrap around thing that acts as a buffer between metal and me, and can be whipped on and off easily. I thought other folks may have done or needed something similar and may have some ideas, no worries if not! I'll have to apply my own grey matter to the problem!
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    pipe lagging.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    French style might be to carry it. Real men ride up.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • tudj
    tudj Posts: 254
    Look at that pic posted earlier, if you have the cranks in the same position then you can hold the crank arm with your right hand, if you do stumble then you can control where the bike goes (away from your face) easily enough. The guy at the back is doing it that way.