My 1st event - 100miles, and chariteee.

cat_with_no_tail
cat_with_no_tail Posts: 12,981
edited May 2013 in Road beginners
Alright all,

So, in about 7 weeks time, I'll be doing the Microgaming Lighthouse challenge. It's a 100 mile ride, 2,000m climbing, around the coast of the IOM, going to each of the 7 main lighthouses along the way.

The route, from last years event, can be found here

It's still a pretty big challenge for me. Will be my first century on the roadie, and the first organized event I've ever done on a roadie too.

I'm aiming for a time around 6hrs, which would put me towards the top of the field. Not sure how realistic that is, but we'll soon find out.

I'm raising funds for the Cardiomyopathy association, and my employers, PokerStars are going to match any fundraising I do (up to £250).

If anyone fancies being generous, and putting in a couple of quid, please feel free to do so.

http://www.justgiving.com/Matthew-Beastall

Otherwise, just wish me luck :D.

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Good luck with that :wink:

How come you do not have any idea how realistic doing it in 6 hours is?
    What distance/time have you done in training?
  • cat_with_no_tail
    Because as I said, it's my first event on the roadie. I've not done a century on a road bike yet. don't usually bother doing much over 50miles in a single ride. Which usually takes about 2hr 30min and around 1,000m elevation.

Don't see why 6hrs isn't achievable, but we'll see on the day. I will be ramping up my weekend rides a little over the coming weeks, not massively concerned about the distance though tbh, it's more a case of seeing how quick (or otherwise) I can do it.

Also, I can't say how reasonable it'll be because I have no idea what the weather will be like.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    That sounds a good average :wink:

Reason I asked is that I am hoping to do a 6 hour 100 mile in Aug.
    I did 65 miles (most I have done although have done quite a few now) last weekend and averaged 18.5 mph.
    I feel the extra distance is going to be tough and am upping milage to about 80/90 between now and the event.
  • cat_with_no_tail
    Did my first training ride today. Couldn't find anyone willing to come along, so went on my own.

Just noticed, I've ridden the full outline of an entire country in 1 go. :lol:

http://app.strava.com/activities/55057888

Total Distance: 123.3km
    Total Elevation: 1,744m
    Moving time: 4:42:27

I have no worries at all about completing the full 160k. 6hrs is going to be tough though. The actual event will be another 40k, with another 300m or so of climbing to do.

However, I think if I can find a reasonable group to work with for at least some of the way, this should help significantly.
  • Cupras
    Cupras Posts: 145
    Cycling in the isle of man has recently become massive so there should be plenty of people to train with.
    I did live there for 6 years but I cant for the life of me remember the bloke I used to work with that was in the cycling clubs.
  • cat_with_no_tail
    Aye, plenty of folks knocking about. Tbh though, I quite enjoy riding on my own.

# antisocial_old_bugger