New build advice

EH_Rob
EH_Rob Posts: 1,134
edited May 2013 in MTB buying advice
Sorry for the essay.

I'm missing a hardtail in my life, so am going to build one. I've had some thoughts but would like opinions please.

The purpose of this bike will be everything I deem my Nomad too much for - natural stuff and trail centres (capable of riding for a whole day), maybe a little more sometimes. I ride fairly hard, it'll be jumped and dropped, so I'm aiming for a burly all rounder. I'm used to lugging the Nomad (which is a 1x9 geared, 165mm bike) up hills, so not too fussed about super lightness. I'm happy to spend what I need to, within reason.

It'll probably be a Cotic BFe (other suggestions?), with either an SLX/XT full group (inc brakes), 1x10. Already got rotors, but will need adaptors. What is the cheapest way to get a brand new 1x10 setup? Buy the full group and shorter chainring bolts and flog the bits I don't need? Or would you recommend second hand crank arms/shifter and buy new cassette, chainring, and chain?

I'll need a chain device. I run a Straitline Silent on the Nomad, but they're expensive (but very good). That said, they do come with a bash, so maybe they aren't so bad. Anyone have any suggestions for a suitable chain device/bash that's a bit cheaper and works well?

Forks - I suppose Revs or Sektors would be the default suggestion. Both are possibles. Fox 34s are out cos they're well expensive, and I suspect the same will apply to the new Pikes.

I have been looking at an XFusion Slant DLA. It ticks a few boxes - travel adjust (130-160mm), 34mm stanchions, not too heavy (2kg - quite a bit more than a Rev I know) and reasonably priced (£450). Does anyone have any experience/thoughts on these, especially on performance and reliability? Is a 15mm axle a big deal compared to 20mm? I've only had 20mm and QR before.

The other option is a set of old Pikes, with U-Turn 90-140mm. These will be cheaper, still heavy though. If I were to get these the 456 Evo frame comes into play, which will shave a little more off the build cost. Thoughts?

Wheels - could do the usual Superstar Flows deal. Any other options? Could spend a bit more if necessary.

Pedals will be nanos or similar.

Charge Spoon/Cannondale seatpost I've got lying about

Probably Haven bars, stem unknown, 40 or 50mm I suspect. ODI Grips

I'll realise if I've forgotten anything later.

Cheers for your help.

Comments

• Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    Doesn't actually sound like you need much help.
  • EH_Rob
    I guess not. Opinions on forks and wheels is what I'd like (having never owned any of the above), as well as the 1x10/guide questions.
  • mcnultycop
    mcnultycop Posts: 2,143
    I'd get a Zee Mech if you are sticking to 1x10.

I just bought a Deore Crankset (about £50) then flogged the chainrings (for about £25 on eBay) then got an e13 G Ring. I'm sure XT would have been "better", but as a lot of the weight is in the Deore chainrings, as I understand it, so Deore seemed the best value solution for me.
  • EH_Rob
    mcnultycop wrote:
    I'd get a Zee Mech if you are sticking to 1x10.

I just bought a Deore Crankset (about £50) then flogged the chainrings (for about £25 on eBay) then got an e13 G Ring. I'm sure XT would have been "better", but as a lot of the weight is in the Deore chainrings, as I understand it, so Deore seemed the best value solution for me.

Sounds like a plan, Deore works. Cheers.