how much will 100km hurt?!

thombb
thombb Posts: 7
edited May 2013 in Road beginners
Hi all,

Just wondering if a 100km ride is going to be too much for me.

I'm pretty new to road bikes, though I've had slicks on my rigid MTB for a couple of years, I got a retro road bike a couple of weeks ago and have been loving it. I've done two 50km and a 40km rides in the past two weeks. One 50km ride was very relaxed (2hr30), the other (1hr45) I pushed myself hard & felt totally drained afterwards. I don't think I ever did more than 20km on my MTB in a single ride.

Now I'm planning a ride from Bath to Poole, and wondering if I can get it done this Sat evening (finish work at 4), with couple of stops and some energy snacks.

I realise it'll be a different scale of challenge for different characters, but any immediate thoughts? Impossible or very straightforward??

Cheers,
T

Comments

• Grill
    Grill Posts: 5,610
    Straightforward. You'll be fine, just stay hydrated.
    English Cycles V3 | Cervelo P5 | Cervelo T4 | Trek Domane Koppenberg
  • 100km should be pretty achievable.

Just take it at a steady pace and make sure you drink lots of fluids even if you don't feel thirsty and take onboard snacks as well if you want to keep your energy up.

I tend to start off steady and increase my pace as I get further in to the ride but that just a personal thing, too often on sportives I have seen people race off the start line like its a time trial and be ruined by 30 miles.

And most importantly, enjoy it!
  • pride4ever
    pride4ever Posts: 510
    I think the word is "pissball".
    the deeper the section the deeper the pleasure.
  • Bozman
    Bozman Posts: 2,518
    I did 62 miles yesterday, an egg sandwich for breakfast,two small pieces of flapjack on the ride , 750ml of electrolyte, a spare few hours and bobs your uncle.

Just pace yourself and enjoy it.
  • city_boy
    city_boy Posts: 1,616
    pride4ever wrote:

Another quality post :lol:

Not very helpful....but still quality :wink:
    Statistically, 6 out of 7 dwarves are not happy.
  • teisetrotter
    teisetrotter Posts: 342
    It will hurt as much as you want it to ......... hills and speed are the factors. Take a few munchies. Soreen loaves in mini pack lunch sizes are my weapon of choice and a good drink (I use zero). The go for it.
  • thombb
    thombb Posts: 7
    pride4ever wrote:

Thanks for the replies guys, I guess I'll MTFU and go for it!
  • pride4ever
    pride4ever Posts: 510
    YOU WILL DO IT BECAUSE YOU CAN.
    the deeper the section the deeper the pleasure.
  • MartAstur
    MartAstur Posts: 122
    I'm sure you will be fine. As long as there are no serious hills your legs should be fine if you have already done a couple of 50's. I did my first 100k recently which included some tough hills, my legs just about held out but my bum was killing me the last hour. Just enjoy and take plenty of liquid and nibbles. Have a good ride!
  • sadlybiggins
    sadlybiggins Posts: 158
    As others have said, you should be fine. My only question would be how well you know the route and roughly what average speed you think you'll do. If you don't know the route well and average (say) 15mph, I'd take some lights (if you don't already have them). Setting off at 4 doesn't give you a massive margin of error to do 60 miles in good light if you have a few involuntary diversions.
  • gubber12345
    gubber12345 Posts: 493
    As others have said, you should be fine. My only question would be how well you know the route and roughly what average speed you think you'll do. If you don't know the route well and average (say) 15mph, I'd take some lights (if you don't already have them). Setting off at 4 doesn't give you a massive margin of error to do 60 miles in good light if you have a few involuntary diversions.
    +1 with this

I got my first 100k a fortnight ago and it took me just over 4 hrs to do it with no stops at an avg of just over 15 mph...so if your leaving at 4 taking lights would be a good move.

good luck with it mate. :wink:
    Lapierre Aircode 300
    Merida
  • Sprool
    Sprool Posts: 1,022
    Hey you get to sit down the whole way. Just pace yourself, drink lots and eat flapjack. Next week you'll be running the route again trying to shave 30 minutes off your time.