Geometry and handling question

Re-Cycle
Re-Cycle Posts: 83
edited May 2013 in MTB general
Q. If you have a 26inch wheel bike and put the tallest profile trye on it that it could take to make it more like a 650b how much would this effect the geometry and handling compared to fitting 650b wheels with a reg trye to a frame built for a 26er? Overall the end circumference would be pretty much the same so would it matter what option you took as long as you had the clearence?

Comments

• bluechair84
    bluechair84 Posts: 4,352
    People have always suggested that putting a big balloon of a tyre on the front like a Rubber Queen 2.4, and a small profile tyre on the back, like a maxxis 2.1 will help to knock the angles back a bit. Obviously, putting large tyres front and rear will only raise the bb height marginally and do nothing for angles. I know a few people who have managed to squeeze 650b wheels and tyres into 26in frames and forks and they seemed to like it, but the mud clearance would be a major issue for me. And, personally, I'd rather have a feeling of a larger tyre than a large wheel and a narrow tyre - but that's the ludite in me speaking, I've not ridden 650b.
  • thelonegroover
    thelonegroover Posts: 1,073
    Assuming the same is fitted front and back, then there will be no effect on geometry. You may benfit from the extra air in the tyre though and wouldn't need new wheels.
    Planet X Kaffenback 2
    Giant Trance X2
    Genesis High Latitude 2x10
    Planet X n2a
    Genesis Core 20
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • thelonegroover
    thelonegroover Posts: 1,073
    Just in case you want to know what trail is, don't think you'll notice the difference when riding...
    Planet X Kaffenback 2
    Giant Trance X2
    Genesis High Latitude 2x10
    Planet X n2a
    Genesis Core 20
  • Re-Cycle
    Re-Cycle Posts: 83
    Thanks for the thoughts so far think I would stick to the same for front and rear. Might give the types ago first as that's the cheaper option to start with