Lack of braking power in front brake

echowitch
echowitch Posts: 196
edited May 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
I have Shimano BR-M395 hydr. disc brake's front and rear with Nukeproof Enduro pad's. My front brake is not as effective as my rear. It has been like that since the brake pads were fitted. My LBS did say that they fiddled with bleeding the brake, so I'm wondering if there is an issue with that or it's just the brake pads need replacing (can't think it would be them they are used less than the rear.) I have to pull the front brake fully to the bar to get it to fully apply.

Is there a way to increase the pressure of the brake to make it more responsive ? Would adding more mineral oil increase the pressure ?

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    no.

more info needed.

lever feel? same? different? noises. disc being moved by the pads?........
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • echowitch
    echowitch Posts: 196
    It starts to bite about half way in to the pull but does not have the bite of the rear. No where near the same level of bite. It's all the way to the bar before it really feels like its biting properly.

At the same point (a little over half way) the rear brake is applying pressure and slowly me down rapidly but not locking up. (Full pull on the rear results in a lockup)

I've tried applying full front level and it grips the rotor firmly and I get some wiggle when pushing forward (normal ?) but the rotor and pads aren't moving. So that pads are connecting.

There is some squealing if it is wet. I've given a liberal spray of disc brake cleaner to the rotor and pads.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    If the lever is coming to the bar then either
    1/ It needs filling up with fluid (aka bleeding) properly
    or
    2/ The pads are retracting too far - look at front and rear pads as you pull the lever, are the front moving obviously more than the rears?
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.