Rigoberto Uran Uran

Comments

• hopak
    hopak Posts: 193
    Using the Spanish model for surnames, I'm having trouble not thinking that he's born of incest ...

Completely wrong.
    He was mis-named after the 80's pop group fronted by that other mullet man, Simon le Bon.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,941
    Looking like a 3rd place finish for Uran.

That's not a bad salvage operation for Sky. 3rd place for their plan C rider and a stage win.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • dolan_driver
    dolan_driver Posts: 831
    He is also just 10 seconds behind Cadel in second place so that position isn't out of reach either. Hopefully, there will be some racing tomorrow and on some steep hills too, so the final shake-up can take place.

DD.
  • Le Commentateur
    Le Commentateur Posts: 4,099
    He should most definitely be racing for that 2nd place. Nowadays it's entirely possible to be retrospectively declared winner of a GT months or even years after the event.
  • dolan_driver
    dolan_driver Posts: 831
    It states in the first post on this page that Rigoberto likes rain. Well, it looks like the snow is no problem to him either. A great ride by Uran for a brilliant second place on GC. It was interesting to see him helping Betancur as well.

DD.
  • Turfle
    Turfle Posts: 3,762
    Go on, Rigo. Love him.

Shame that Henao had his first dip in form since he came to Europe, as it would have been good to see them both going at it. Maybe it would have been 2nd, 3rd, 4th, and 5th for Colmbia today.
  • Walter White
    Walter White Posts: 238
    He should most definitely be racing for that 2nd place. Nowadays it's entirely possible to be retrospectively declared winner of a GT months or even years after the event.

Spot on, would not be suprised to see it happen either.
  • RoadPainter
    RoadPainter Posts: 375

Spot on, would not be suprised to see it happen either.
    Yes, depressing it's something to think about.

Rigoberto to get Olympic gold & Giro retrospectively? Both winners had a lot of "panache" so re-testing samples might find them out
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    Not so long ago he was being paced up climbs by Thomas.

tumblr_lop76aAGvz1qacyk6o1_r1_500.jpg
    GeraintThomasLeTourdeFrance2011StageE5LkXdhwwtml.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • disgruntledgoat
    disgruntledgoat Posts: 8,957
    Not so long ago he was being paced up climbs by Thomas.

tumblr_lop76aAGvz1qacyk6o1_r1_500.jpg
    GeraintThomasLeTourdeFrance2011StageE5LkXdhwwtml.jpg

I think Thomas has climbing skillz that haven't been fully exploited yet. That break in the Pyrenees in 2011 was pretty decent, got dropped over Horquette d'Anzin when he crashed on some oil over the op but got back on on the Tourmalet.
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • Turfle
    Turfle Posts: 3,762
    Thomas was brilliant that day. It was the day that Rigo lost the white jersey, and one of those "one bad days" that hopefully this Giro has shown don't have to happen.
  • frenchfighter
    I think Thomas has climbing skillz that haven't been fully exploited yet. That break in the Pyrenees in 2011 was pretty decent, got dropped over Horquette d'Anzin when he crashed on some oil over the op but got back on on the Tourmalet.

Are you saying he is going to be the next Sky rider to start climbing mountains like they were speed bumps then fade a year or two later?

Ps. I like Geraint and I like Uran.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Richmond Racer
    Richmond Racer Posts: 8,561
    Turfle wrote:
    Thomas was brilliant that day. It was the day that Rigo lost the white jersey, and one of those "one bad days" that hopefully this Giro has shown don't have to happen.

He was, he was. And yeah, one of the best things for Rigo is surely having gone the full distance without getting sick or losing it on a bad day.
  • joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    Using the Spanish model for surnames, I'm having trouble not thinking that he's born of incest ...

He was named after a band. He's a true wildboy in the Union of the Snake!
  • frenchfighter
    LoL. All these people putting me on block just love reading my posts and contributing to threads I start. They must love it when someone quotes my post so that they can `respond` without `responding, if you get what I mean, wink wink say no more.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,328
    Joelsim wrote:

Is he Pedro Delgado's donkey?
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • disgruntledgoat
    Joelsim wrote:

Named after a motorway.
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • Richmond Racer
    Richmond Racer Posts: 8,561
    Joelsim wrote:

Named after a motorway.

True story
  • disgruntledgoat
    Joelsim wrote:

Named after a motorway.

True story

That may be my favourite thread ever on here

@gietvangent
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,157
    Would I be alone in hoping that Uran Uran signs for FdJ so that Le Bon can be his leader?
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • inkyfingers
    inkyfingers Posts: 4,400
    The pictures above of him being paced by Thomas need a bit of context, they were from the Galibier stage when he got ill and lost the white jersey, up until that point he'd been climbing pretty well at the pointy end of the race.

Was still an impressive bit of climbing from Thomas though, only 7.31 down on Schleck.
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • frenchfighter
    He also crashed. You can see his shorts are ripped.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,941
    The pictures above of him being paced by Thomas need a bit of context, they were from the Galibier stage when he got ill and lost the white jersey, up until that point he'd been climbing pretty well at the pointy end of the race.

Was still an impressive bit of climbing from Thomas though, only 7.31 down on Schleck.

Was Thomas not in the break during a mountain stage before he forgot to go round a several corners....

I think people forget that all these riders can 'climb'.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • inkyfingers
    inkyfingers Posts: 4,400

Was Thomas not in the break during a mountain stage before he forgot to go round a several corners....

Indeed. I think Mark Cavendish might even be able to keep up on our club run.
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • gpreeves
    gpreeves Posts: 454

Indeed. I think Mark Cavendish might even be able to keep up on our club run.

Absolutely, I was at Stages 18 & 20 of the Giro last week - for somebody who's usually portrayed as a bit sh*t at climbing he went past at a ridiculous pace.
  • ms_tree
    ms_tree Posts: 1,405
    RichN95 wrote:
    Would I be alone in hoping that Uran Uran signs for FdJ so that Le Bon can be his leader?

:lol::lol:

His first name is also great for passwords! I used it quite a lot at work for things - or worked through teams! No-one else has any possibility of guessing it!
    'Google can bring back a hundred thousand answers. A librarian can bring you back the right one.'
    Neil Gaiman
  • LeicesterLad
    LeicesterLad Posts: 3,908
    Ms Tree wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:

:lol::lol:

His first name is also great for passwords! I used it quite a lot at work for things - or worked through teams! No-one else has any possibility of guessing it!

Logging in as we speak....

:lol:
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    Joelsim wrote:

Named after a motorway.

True story

That may be my favourite thread ever on here

Just re-read it in its entirety. Some genuine lols there.
  • Macaloon
    Macaloon Posts: 5,545
    edited May 2013
    Me too. About halfway through someone makes a roundly ignored plea for sanity to return:

"Ok some people must have slow days. It would be nice to keep the facts in touch with reality."

Edit: Redemption Song

"Fair enough, a lot of these are bloody hilarious"
    ...a rare 100% loyal Pro Race poster. A poster boy for the community.
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    Macaloon wrote:
    Me too. About halfway through someone makes a roundly ignored plea for sanity to return:

"Ok some people must have slow days. It would be nice to keep the facts in touch with reality."

I love the fact that after about twelve pages of Delgado donkey nonsense, someone corrects the band's name from The Pedros to The Delgados :-D