Help please - Trek warranty

nallamot
nallamot Posts: 4
edited May 2013 in MTB general
To cut a long story short...

my gary fisher hoo koo e koo frame cracked two months ago. took it to evans - 200 miles from where i now live - and had it sent off to trek. trek agree to replace it with this year's elite 8.9 frame - win.

frame eventually arrives and to my concern it looks a little small...they have sent a 17.5 inch, and i am 6 foot. NOW my old Fisher was a 17.5, but quite unusual geometry, including a long top tube, which meant that it fitted. i am a xc rider, btw, so like an efficient and relatively stretched out riding position.

i chose to get the bike built back up by a more local bike shop - a Trek dealer, so i can get the warranty. i told the guy in the shop i thought it would be too small but he was adamant it would fit. stupidly, i believed him.

i have just test ridden the new frame and it is definitely too small. with seatpost at min insert i am not at the correct height to pedal, never mind the fact i feel too cramped.

so what to do now?

i'm going to give the guy hell tomorrow when the shop opens, but apart from that i see two options -

1. sell the frame as 'nearly new' and just cut my losses

2. try a freakishly long seatpost with loads of set back, and possibly a long stem too, to try and make it fit

because with the best will in the world, i don't see how i can now switch to the correct frame size via trek.

to make matters worse i shelled out on a new chainset and seat post to go with the frame, which, with the cost of the build and other bits and bobs mean i've spent over 200 quid on the bike already. obviously that would be fine if it fitted...

any advice would be greatly appreciated!

- and this is the first time i've posted here, so hi -

Comments

• bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    Speak to trek? That's the obvious place to start.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • tudj
    tudj Posts: 254
    Ask Trek for a bigger frame, a warranty replacement needs to be suitable for use, that one isn't so I'm sure they'll work with you to get something that is right.
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    +1 to the above, don't cause hell, be polite.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Speak to the dealer though - not Trek.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • nallamot
    thanks for the replies chaps.

i've spoken to both trek directly and the dealer and trek have promised they will sort something once the shop have fitted me properly to a frame...if they supply a different sized 8 series i will be seriously impressed.

will update next week.
  • nallamot
    Update --

Trek are replacing with a 19.5 inch frame, and accepting back the 17.5 inch, even though it has been built up by the shop. They're replacing with an 8.9. Should be on its way from the US soon...

I have to say I am very, very impressed with Trek's customer service - I really think they've gone above an beyond here.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Actually not at all unusual for a Trek/GF warranty response, a chap I ride with is on his 3rd replacement frame under the old GF lifetime warranty.....
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    Good response from Trek, glad you got it sorted.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."