DH Direct Mount Stems...

felix.london
felix.london Posts: 4,067
edited May 2013 in MTB buying advice
Choice of two;

Blackspire DAS Direct Mount 0 Deg Stem 145g rrp £75

Nukeproof Warhead Boxxer Direct Mount Stem 160g rrp £60

(both available for £25-£30)

I know, a stem's a stem's a stem but anyone got any bad experiences with any of these?

Will be replacing the stock (non-direct mount) Bonty Big Earl on the Trek Session
"Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8

Comments

• downhillbike
    downhillbike Posts: 115
    you should have a look at the superstar dm stem it is the same as the nukeproof but on sale at £35
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    I would not bother. makes the fork less resaleable and if you have an off there is one less point to take the force.

OK if racing the slight improvement can help but having spare parts when something snaps is the norm.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • felix.london
    nicklouse wrote:
    I would not bother. makes the fork less resaleable and if you have an off there is one less point to take the force.

OK if racing the slight improvement can help but having spare parts when something snaps is the norm.

In a crash are the forks more likely to be damaged with a direct mount?

Trek Session 8
  • felix.london
    you should have a look at the superstar dm stem it is the same as the nukeproof but on sale at £35

£28. Cheers

Trek Session 8
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    More likely to twist the forks with a direct mount. I have a Nukeproof direct mount, it's ok but the screws are crap quality and quickly corrode.
  • peter413
    peter413 Posts: 5,120
    In what way does it make the fork less sellable? I personally prefer DM because I don't have to mess about trying to line the wheel up with the bars, just bolt the stem on and away you go. Yes in theory you are more likely to twist your forks but I don't know anyone that has managed to do it personally and everyone I know with DH bikes uses a DM stem.

Out of those two personally I would be going for the Blackspire as it's slightly lighter, is available in more colours and is ever so slightly longer. I nearly bought one before I got my Answer stem which I would fully recommend if you had the money for one.
  • felix.london
    Ordered the Blackspire will see what it's like and at least gotta spare now

Sounds stupid I know but the Session was an ex-rental and they carved a big "127" into the stem that really pi$$es me off! Obviously I'd take that over bent Boxxers though :)

140g reduction in weight over the Bonty too

Trek Session 8
  • nicklouse
    peter413 wrote:
    In what way does it make the fork less sellable? .
    You have to, or should, or can't fit he stem with (it depends on the stem an the reach) a steerer with a length suitable for a clamp on steerer.

Twisting forks is only one possible issue. The other is bending bars and damaging frames.

As there is nothing to "give" when the bars are forced round.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • felix.london
    nicklouse wrote:
    As there is nothing to "give" when the bars are forced round.

yes - this makes sense...hmm, gone off the idea. Although I don't remember the last crash I had where I bent the bars round...will save that one for the first run with the DM stem :(

Trek Session 8
  • nicklouse
    Seen enough dented frames from tripple clamp forks where the stem has twisted when the bars have dug in. Seen bent frames and bent bars where the direct mount has just sat there.

Don't get me wrong they are great but.....
  • felix.london
    Wouldn't it make sense for the bolts to brake on a big impact a la mech hanger stylee?

..or bolt holes

Trek Session 8
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    edited May 2013
    Awesome if they break at the wrong time though. A mech hanger is inconvenient, stem giving way at the wrong time could kill, you.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • peter413
    peter413 Posts: 5,120
    nicklouse wrote:
    peter413 wrote:
    You have to, or should, or can't fit he stem with (it depends on the stem an the reach) a steerer with a length suitable for a clamp on steerer.

Any DM stem I've encountered you can leave the steerer at the right length for a normal stem. Off the top of my head that's a few Funn's, Burgtec's, Easton's, Answer's and Hope's.
  • felix.london
    cooldad wrote:
    Awesome if they break at the wrong time though. A mech hanger is inconvenient, stem giving way at the wrong time could kill, you.

tbh I thought a direct mount stem was also attached to the steerer in the normal way

Trek Session 8
  • felix.london
    peter413 wrote:
    nicklouse wrote:
    peter413 wrote:

Any DM stem I've encountered you can leave the steerer at the right length for a normal stem. Off the top of my head that's a few Funn's, Burgtec's, Easton's, Answer's and Hope's.

oui

p4pb5249566.jpg

Trek Session 8