Headset FSA Orbit 1.5 installation problem

jorgelopes
jorgelopes Posts: 35
edited May 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
Hello,

I'm installing a headset Orbit 1.5 and I'm having a problem inserting the compression ring. This component doesn't enter completely in the cartridge bearing creating a gap between the frame and the seal (image).
I tried to push the steam down by tighting the cap bolt with no success.

20130516124244.jpg

20130516124327.jpg

Does anyone know how should I install this?

Thank you.

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    fit the rest of the parts and preload the bearings, go ride. adjust if needed.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • jorgelopes
    But is this gap normal?

thank you.
  • nicklouse
    is it still there when you have done the above?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • jorgelopes
    edited May 2013
    Yes. I made so much pressure in the cap bolt trying to push the stem and the spacers down that I broke it :(
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    jorgelopes wrote:
    Yes. I made so much pressure in the cap bolt that I broke it :(
    Was that before or after you tightened the stem?
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • jorgelopes
    Before
  • nicklouse
    ok full story.

frame?
    headset (full part name/number)
    new build or service or.....
  • jorgelopes
    Hello,

It's a new installation.

the frame is a cube reaction gtc 29er with a tapered fork. The headset is a FSA Orbit 1.5ZS

http://www.probikeshop.pt/fsa-caixa-de-direcao-orbit-aa-5-zs-conico/70519.html

I guess everything is compatible, the great problem is the compression ring, maybe the online store sent me the wrong one...

20130516194047.jpg

20130516194203.jpg

20130516194231.jpg
  • nicklouse
    ok the frame uses an integrated IZ and the headset you have kinked to is an Internal/Zero stack headset ZS

get the correct headset.
  • jorgelopes
    Bad news for me...

Everything fits well in the frame except the compression ring. Isn't it possible to use another compression ring instead of exchanging all headset? Unfortunately this one already have scratches in the compression ring, caused by my inexperience while trying to install the component.

Thank you.
  • nicklouse
    no as the bearings will not be fitting well either the angles will all be wrong so they will wear the frame.
  • jorgelopes
    Thank you for the help.

:D