Replace front forks Carrera Vulcan 2009

brunlea
brunlea Posts: 33
edited May 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi,

I have a Carrera Vulcan 16" 2009 model. It has got the stock Suntour XCM forks fitted to it. However, the forks have some play in them which is a bit of a cause of concern for me, although i do not do any hard riding so it is not too bad at the moment.

I am looking into how much it would cost to replace the front forks, but more importantly, how to replace them and what with. I understand that there are many different things that i need to take into account such as the various sizes of tubes, travel etc etc.

I am not looking to replace them with anything expensive as the bike is only used on light trails and smooth areas. Something less than £40 (used) would be good enough. The XCM's themselves are fine at the moment, it's just the play that is too much.

So....can anyone let me know what i should be looking out for when looking for replacement forks? I am looking for used ones on ebay at the moment as i am more likely to get better value for money. What would be suitable for this bike as i guess a lot of you do upgrades.

Thanks

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    First off make sure that it has the right brake mounts. The bike should have discs.

Steerer is 1 1/8th inch threadless. Makes ure it is long enough, ie measure the old one.

Travel 100mm.

£40 is not going to get you much unless you are lucky: maybe an old RockShox Judy/Psylo or Marzocchi MX Comp.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    2009 Vulcan could be V's as well..... which do you have?

It would be worth considering rigidf forks, much lighter and you'll get new ones for less than that!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • brunlea
    Sorry, should have mentioned that i have disc brakes. So 1 1/8th Threadless. That helps, thanks.

Not really considering rigid, as i have a Carrera Subway and i could just put some mountain bike tyres on and it would probably be the same as a Vulcan with rigid forks.
  • brunlea
    Just to add, is it possible to repair the existing forks that i have? They have an excessive amount of play in them and i am not too sure on what exactly is needed to repair it and if i can do it myself.....any ideas?
  • supersonic
    If the play is in the fork legs, they are dead.
  • brunlea
    The stanchions that go into the leg have a small gap between them and the leg that is causing the play. The suspension still bounces ok though. You think they are ok to use for normal road riding? I'm going to test them out this weekend to see what they can take! Or do you think it is best to replace them ASAP?
  • supersonic
    I'd replace them. If you acn see a gap they could be on the verge of collapsing, sounds like the seals have worn through too.
  • brunlea
    Ok. Looks like i am going to try and find something cheap like a Suntour XCR.

How am i supposed to find out if i need a tapered fork or or untapered? I guess the XCR is probably untapered......

Will i need any other parts to fit an XCR to my bike or will a simple swap with an XCM be fine? Anyone have any experience of this?
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    99.9% it is a straight steerer. As long as the steerer is long enough it should be a straight swap
    You also need to make sure the brake mounts are the same, or you'll need new adapters.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • supersonic
    Is a straight 1 and 1/8th inch steerer.
  • supersonic
    Have a look at this, if the steerer is long enough, is really good fork, if a little over your budget:

viewtopic.php?f=40092&t=12922056
  • brunlea
    thanks for the suggestion. The steerer is a little short. I need it to be at least 175mm. I just saw a 2013 XCR on ebay new for 60 pounds. Thinking of getting that. The description said it was "threadless". What does that mean and will it be ok for my bike?

This is the item, but another seller has it on for 60.
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-SR-SUNTOU ... 3ccfcd873a

What do you think?
  • brunlea
    Also, i have seen a few forks described as 'Ahead'. Is this significant?
  • cooldad
    No. You have a threadless steerer. And the original patent holder for threadless headsets called them Aheadsets. Now used generically like Hoover.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • brunlea
    Thanks for all the help everyone. I just ordered these:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-2013-Sunt ... OC:GB:3160

Now i just need to fit them once i get them. Should be quite straightforward according to some of the youtube videos i've seen.
  • cooldad
    Easy job - read 'Read this first' below. Unless you are replacing the headset as well remember to take the crown race off the old forks before you chuck them away as you will need it for the new ones.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • brunlea
    Sorted. Replaced the forks. Was a pretty straightforward job really. I did not quite make a straight cut at the top of the steerer tube, but it was straight enough. Thanks for all the replies.