Greenclaws

the playing mantis
the playing mantis Posts: 2,129
edited May 2013 in The cake stop
"There was just something terribly bizarre about the programme Greenclaws. In kids' programmes of the 1980s, there were certainly a considerable amount of characters who looked like sure contenders for the title of Strangest looking creature ever award, but I think Greenclaws would have beaten them all to it. Greenclaws can only be described as a six foot tall, bespectacled, long-haired, aged looking, clumsy, bug-type green monster with a weight problem. I believe he got his name from the term "Greenfingers", the difference being that Greenfingers is a name given to HUMANS that are into gardening and plants etc, whereas, apparently, Greenclaws is a name given to monsters who are into gardening and plants etc, monsters having claws as opposed to fingers.

Anyway, Greenclaws lived in a house, which, to put it nicely, was a complete s**thole. It had only one room, I believe, and also, a greenhouse joined to it where you would expect a conservatory to be. I am not sure how he ended up being in possession of a house. Where would he get the money from to pay his council tax? He didn't appear to have a job (well, he was never heard to be complaining about what a hard day he'd had at the office, anyway), and, let's face it, there isn't exactly a great demand for clumsy monsters in British industry, and in 1988/89, jobs were all the more scarce, Britain being under Thatcher's rule and all. Unless he lived off the state, which wouldn't have been a very good example to set young children. And I wasn't aware that monsters qualified for unemployment benefit at any rate - though invalidity benefit would perhaps have been more appropriate. Anyway, he used to plant seeds and put them in his tree in his greenhouse to grow into plants. This tree was guarded by Owlma the owl, who made Greenclaws answer questions before being allowed to have his new plant. That owl was very vain and annoying if you ask me. What gave it the right to insist that he answered its stupid questions? And what right did it have to sit forever on a branch of Greenclaws' tree? If I was Greenclaws and had a gun, I'd have been tempted to shoot it. Anyway, Greenclaws' trusty companion who helped him plant his seeds and answer that stupid owl's questions, was Iris, a fully-grown woman with all the mentality, intellect and behaviour of a six and a half year old. She always looked somewhat disturbed, nervous and traumatised, but, to be fair, if I spent so much time with Greenclaws, I'd probably be just as bad. So, the intellectually-deficient Iris would somehow interpret what the owl, who spoke Owlmaese, I presume, said, when she was asking them those aforementioned questions which they had to answer in order to get their plant. The questions always went " twoo, twoo, twit, twit, twoo " or that's what it sounded like to all non-Owlmaese speaking persons. When they answered the questions correctly, they got their plant, which grew something or other. Throughout the programmes, they had plants which grew chocolate, bread and other things, but never once did it grow vegetables. But then, with Greenclaws and Iris around, there was hardly any great shortage of vegetables. Also, in each programme, Greenclaws would read a story to Iris (glad that at least one of them had learned to read) which usually was about one of Greenclaws' relatives. Also featured, was Greenclaws' pet macaw, Percy, who was probably the most intelligent of them all. He was less annoying than Owlma, despite macaws surely being more annoying than owls, usually.

Without a doubt, Greenclaws is one of the best kids' programmes ever made, boasting both good story lines and originality. I thoroughly enjoyed the programme, even if only because it made me feel intelligent"

classic

Comments

• GiantMike
    GiantMike Posts: 3,139
    "There was just something terribly bizarre about the programme Greenclaws. In kids' programmes of the 1980s, there were...

I read that much.

Are you OK? Should we send a nurse or a calibration team?
  • simonhead
    simonhead Posts: 1,399
    I vaguely remember the programme, a bit after my time. What i loved was dogtanianDogtanianLogo.JPG
    Life isnt like a box of chocolates, its like a bag of pic n mix.
  • Pituophis
    Pituophis Posts: 1,025
    This "greenclaws", had you been on the "greengear" by any chance?
    It sounds a bit chemically induced to me :shock: :lol:

Dogtanian I remember vaguely, but Greenclaws is new to me.

I liked Barnaby the Bear, and Bod as a kid :wink:
  • simonhead
    One of the weirdest was Pob, where he spat all over the screen. My wife recons he looked a bit like Wiggo
  • GiantMike
    GiantMike Posts: 3,139
    simonhead wrote:
    One of the weirdest was Pob, where he spat all over the screen.

Welsh
  • seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,416
    "There was just something terribly bizarre about the programme Greenclaws. In kids' programmes of the 1980s, there were certainly a considerable amount of characters who looked like sure contenders for the title of Strangest looking creature ever award, but I think Greenclaws would have beaten them all to it. Greenclaws can only be described as a six foot tall, bespectacled, long-haired, aged looking, clumsy, bug-type green monster with a weight problem. I believe he got his name from the term "Greenfingers", the difference being that Greenfingers is a name given to HUMANS that are into gardening and plants etc, whereas, apparently, Greenclaws is a name given to monsters who are into gardening and plants etc, monsters having claws as opposed to fingers.

Anyway, Greenclaws lived in a house, which, to put it nicely, was a complete s**thole. It had only one room, I believe, and also, a greenhouse joined to it where you would expect a conservatory to be. I am not sure how he ended up being in possession of a house. Where would he get the money from to pay his council tax? He didn't appear to have a job (well, he was never heard to be complaining about what a hard day he'd had at the office, anyway), and, let's face it, there isn't exactly a great demand for clumsy monsters in British industry, and in 1988/89, jobs were all the more scarce, Britain being under Thatcher's rule and all. Unless he lived off the state, which wouldn't have been a very good example to set young children. And I wasn't aware that monsters qualified for unemployment benefit at any rate - though invalidity benefit would perhaps have been more appropriate. Anyway, he used to plant seeds and put them in his tree in his greenhouse to grow into plants. This tree was guarded by Owlma the owl, who made Greenclaws answer questions before being allowed to have his new plant. That owl was very vain and annoying if you ask me. What gave it the right to insist that he answered its stupid questions? And what right did it have to sit forever on a branch of Greenclaws' tree? If I was Greenclaws and had a gun, I'd have been tempted to shoot it. Anyway, Greenclaws' trusty companion who helped him plant his seeds and answer that stupid owl's questions, was Iris, a fully-grown woman with all the mentality, intellect and behaviour of a six and a half year old. She always looked somewhat disturbed, nervous and traumatised, but, to be fair, if I spent so much time with Greenclaws, I'd probably be just as bad. So, the intellectually-deficient Iris would somehow interpret what the owl, who spoke Owlmaese, I presume, said, when she was asking them those aforementioned questions which they had to answer in order to get their plant. The questions always went " twoo, twoo, twit, twit, twoo " or that's what it sounded like to all non-Owlmaese speaking persons. When they answered the questions correctly, they got their plant, which grew something or other. Throughout the programmes, they had plants which grew chocolate, bread and other things, but never once did it grow vegetables. But then, with Greenclaws and Iris around, there was hardly any great shortage of vegetables. Also, in each programme, Greenclaws would read a story to Iris (glad that at least one of them had learned to read) which usually was about one of Greenclaws' relatives. Also featured, was Greenclaws' pet macaw, Percy, who was probably the most intelligent of them all. He was less annoying than Owlma, despite macaws surely being more annoying than owls, usually.

Without a doubt, Greenclaws is one of the best kids' programmes ever made, boasting both good story lines and originality. I thoroughly enjoyed the programme, even if only because it made me feel intelligent"

classic
    You sir, have truly raised the bar for BS :lol:

It's also comforting to know that you don't work in the public sector and my tax isn't paying for this post :lol:
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • ooermissus
    ooermissus Posts: 811
    Wow.
  • simonhead wrote:
    I vaguely remember the programme, a bit after my time. What i loved was dogtanianDogtanianLogo.JPG

one for all and all for one muskehounds are always ready
  • capt_slog
    capt_slog Posts: 3,946
    Anyone recall "Chorlton and the Wheelies"?

This came on to he TV a few years after I started work, and as I worked a three-shift pattern, sometimes I'd see it on daytime/kids TV. It became a must-see for the group of us on the same shift. It was funny and surreal stop-animation production, which like many of this ilk was far too good for kids.

The older I get, the better I was.

• all this said 'Belle and Sebastian' peed all over everything else!
  • simonhead
    all this said 'Belle and Sebastian' peed all over everything else!

Anothe classic from my childhood.

Cities of gold anyone?
  • Cleat Eastwood
    Cleat Eastwood Posts: 7,508
    I used to love chorlton - that greenclaws was cut an dpasted from an IMDB page - from 10 years ago !!!! :|
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • hence the quotation mark/inverted commas and my remark of 'classic' cleat. never professed it to be my own work. not nearly witty enough to come up with that...
  • seanoconn
    - that greenclaws was cut an dpasted from an IMDB page - from 10 years ago !!!! :|
    I missed the speech marks....... But I'm still disappointed its not original BS :|
  • as if i have the time to come with that. im busy working for a living.
  • seanoconn
    yes its a very slow day at work, hence the BS i have been posting today...

Always busy? :lol:
  • yep we cant always be ruining the country you know, have to take a bit of down time and look up childhood tv shows everynow and then. im off to lunch now.