TDF History - Magazine

dwanes
dwanes Posts: 954
edited May 2013 in Pro race
Browsing the magazines in Sainsbury’s I noticed ‘The Cyclist’ magazine have released a special edition magazine titled ‘100 years of the Tour de France’. Basically taking you through the history, racing and battles year by year.

It looked like it might be quite a good read but scanning through it I noticed a lot of recent history was simply not there.
I know this is due to the ‘Armstrong Era’ and Drugs use, but I do not agree this History should be erased.
I grew up on cycling throughout these years and thoroughly loved it, and regardless of the amount of drug use still love the racing and battles during that era.
I don’t see why they couldn’t have included this era, after all it happened, racing and battles happened.
Maybe they could have entitled the section ‘The Dark Era’. (although drugs have probably been involved in the sport throughout its full history)

What do you think? Should history be Erased?

Comments

• Richmond Racer
    Richmond Racer Posts: 8,561
    No, it shouldnt. Those years happened. And it should stand as a reminder of why it should never be allowed to happen again. Asterix the years, dont just omit them.
  • takethehighroad
    takethehighroad Posts: 6,811
    It's like making the Park Hill flats in Sheffield a listed building to make sure something so hideous is made again
  • estampida
    estampida Posts: 1,008
    Its probably part of the point

if they were to tabulate all the times for all stages through the last 100 years

the anomalies in times assuming you could check weather would show who had taken drugs and on what stage

its like alp d'huez climbing time, they peaked in the 1990's or so, looking back its very clear who and when cheated, some of the greats of the last 30 years have been very quiet on the lance subject.... funny that......

and there will a debate that if a human can perform at that level, should or shouldn't they?
  • LutherB
    LutherB Posts: 544
    I got it today - there is a section on Lance, 'Pioneer to Pariah', all about the dope. No airbrushing, as they say in the mag the TdF has always been pretty much about the dope.