Test Match Special

macleod113
macleod113 Posts: 560
edited May 2013 in The cake stop
Excellent! First test match of the 'summer' is here. I remember starting to listen to TMS way back in my youth when on longwave and being baffled by the shipping forecast but loving all the cricket and random nonsense they all spout.

now its all podcasts and digital radio. wont miss the shipping forecast though ha ha.

bring on 5 days of talk on cake, birds, sticks of rhubarb and maybe a little cricket between the showers
Cube Cross 2016
Willier GTR 2014

Comments

• Alain Quay
    Alain Quay Posts: 534
    Interesting article in the Tory-UKIPgraph http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/cricket/international/england/10060008/England-v-New-Zealand-Matt-Prior-in-perfect-frame-of-mind-thanks-to-Bradley-Wiggins-and-Team-Sky.html by England wicket keeper Matt Prior on what he learned from cycling with Wiggo
  • i do enjoy a bit of TMS, if a game is on and i can have a lazy day.

cmj will be missed though.
  • laurentian
    laurentian Posts: 2,388
    I'm not a DIY fan. At all.

BUT, if there's a mundane, time consuming. boring job that needs doing such as creosoting the fence, painting the skirting or cleaning the soffits, I always schedule it during a Test Match and listen to TMS all day. There is simply no broadcast that transports me so completely . . . its like going on holiday.

TMS on, Summer has arrived.
    Wilier Izoard XP
  • verylonglegs
    verylonglegs Posts: 3,954
    It's a favourite of mine too, only negative is that I can't help but think it is time to move Blowers on.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,582
    I used to get plenty of chance to listen whilst driving around the country but I no longer have long wave or digital radio in the car. Used to hate coverage of the winter tour tests as the early morning coverage would get cut off for Yesterday in Parliament!
  • tetley10
    tetley10 Posts: 693
    Pross wrote:
    I used to get plenty of chance to listen whilst driving around the country but I no longer have long wave or digital radio in the car. Used to hate coverage of the winter tour tests as the early morning coverage would get cut off for Yesterday in Parliament!

You can get it on 720 medium wave.
  • Pross
    Tetley10 wrote:
    Pross wrote:

You can get it on 720 medium wave.

Ooh, thanks never knew that!
  • It's a favourite of mine too, only negative is that I can't help but think it is time to move Blowers on.

heathen! sacrilige! burn him
  • wombly_knees
    wombly_knees Posts: 657
    Used to listen to it in the 90s for most English tests. Not had it since coming back to India, but sky's coverage is fantastic (channel 4 less so) so no complaints, except Botham, Willis and colville, and more recently nick knight.
  • add ian ward. knight and ward. awful commentators. i dont hold out much hope for strauss either.
  • wombly_knees
    Aye, don't like Ward much either, but don't quite get grated by him as much as professional fence sitter knight.

Will wait on Strauss, but the first test was rather insipid from him.
  • Pross
    Recently retired players in any sport tend to make poor commentators / summarisers as they are still quite close to people in the team set up and scared to say anything that might upset them.
  • Pross wrote:
    Recently retired players in any sport tend to make poor commentators / summarisers as they are still quite close to people in the team set up and scared to say anything that might upset them.

i think you either have it or dont. gary neville and nasser were instantly good even though recently retired. night retired years ago and is still poor. likewise jamie redknapp he will never be a good analyst.
  • wombly_knees
    Pross wrote:
    Somewhat agree as I think most can be risk averse when stomping on their mates, but also disagree, as playing says Nass has been a very decent commentator so far and I've always had time for Athers. And from around here, Ganguly, though not a very good commentator, is not averse to criticising his ex teammates and even his golden boy Yuvraj Singh. Dravid, otoh, well he pussy fooys around everything and laxman is terrible.