What kind of mountain biker am I?

boyse7en
boyse7en Posts: 59
edited May 2013 in MTB buying advice
Thinking of getting a new MTB so went to my local bike shop to have a look round and ended up totally confused.

Assistant asked me what kind of mountain biker am I. Then went on to show me various bikes depending of whether I was a cross country, technical, trail, etc biker. I started on MTBs back before suspension was invented, and as far as I'm concerned there are only two types: heavy downhill racers, and everything else is cross-country.

I just want a bike that will do steep rocky/muddy trail across Exmoor/Dartmoor when the mood takes me, towpaths and around Centreparcs with the kids, and muddy bridlepaths and trails locally. Needs to be able to take one of those Tag-Along things so I can tow the smallest child on occasion. I'm not going to be racing it.

LBS reckon a 29er is best if I'm not doing "technical" routes. But not sure if this just means they have some they need to shift. I tried a Cube Analog 29er around the carpark and it seemed pretty good, rolled nicely on the tarmac etc, but off-road, I've no idea!

Am I being led further into all this than I need to go by the LBS? Should I just get a bike that I seems comfortable and I like the look of?

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Steep and rocky is a bit more than XC, I'd say you are looking for a trail bike, an All Mountian bike sounds bigger and heavier than you want.

29ers roll over minor lumpy/bumbpy terrain much better than a 26er, they only really suffer in very technicakl terrain or tight twisty stuff where the extra length and slightly slower steering come into play, for moor rides I'd say a 29er was the better bet.

Are you looking for a full suss or a hardtail, I'm guessing a hardtail?

Foregt looks, it needs to fit you and suite your riding style and terrain, only time looks like into ply is when choosing between bikes that both suite YOU ideally!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Greer_
    Greer_ Posts: 1,716
    Steep and rocky is a bit more than XC, I'd say you are looking for a trail bike, an All Mountian bike sounds bigger and heavier than you want.

Though I do steep and rocky trails on my xc bike!
  • felix.london
    felix.london Posts: 4,067
    Greer_ wrote:

I do very steep and very rocky trails on my XC bike but if I was in the market for a bike now (which I sort of am) I wouldn't buy an XC bike, that's for sure

My bike came with me from the rolling Mendip hills outside Bristol to the Alps so just making do with what I've got for now but it's very far from ideal!..great on the climbs though!
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8
  • Greer_
    Greer_ Posts: 1,716
    I do very steep and very rocky trails on my XC bike but if I was in the market for a bike now (which I sort of am) I wouldn't buy an XC bike, that's for sure

Hmm well I somehow doubt my trails will compare to yours! :lol: But there's not much I wouldn't ride on an xc bike, I'd just be faster with a more suited bike!
    My bike came with me from the rolling Mendip hills outside Bristol to the Alps so just making do with what I've got for now but it's very far from ideal!..great on the climbs though!

I bet! The climbs would kill me on any other bike (though they would probably kill me on a hardtail too!)
  • thelonegroover
    thelonegroover Posts: 1,073
    I wouldn't worry too much about labels for different types of bike/riding. Sit on a few, the shop should let you ride about outside on a few. Buy the one you feel most comfortable on and suits your price range.
    Planet X Kaffenback 2
    Giant Trance X2
    Genesis High Latitude 2x10
    Planet X n2a
    Genesis Core 20
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Greer_ wrote:

Of course, and many people do trail centres on them, doesn't make it the best bike for the job, and skill level also plays a part (I'm rubbish!) as well.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • boyse7en
    I wouldn't worry too much about labels for different types of bike/riding. Sit on a few, the shop should let you ride about outside on a few. Buy the one you feel most comfortable on and suits your price range.

I'm thinking this ^.

I'm not racing the bike, so being a few tenths, or even a few minutes, to the top (or bottom) of the hill is not going to impress anyone. So, in a way, as long as the bike is moderately capable of crossing various terrain I should be fine.

Back when I was doing a lot of biking, I used to go out with a group on a wide variety of bikes: an Orange p7 (mine), a ProFlex, a carbon-framed mongoose, a Cannondale Blackbird. Some were faster on some parts of the route, others were better on other parts. But as we always waited for everyone to re-group at the top or bottom of a hill, it wasn't really a big issue.
  • felix.london
    felix.london Posts: 4,067

You could have several bikes that feel fine riding round the car park - a rigid bike the right size will feel fine riding round the car park - won't be an awful lot of fun on steep, rocky, muddy trails though will it?
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    But it will give an idea of size and basic handling traits, so is better than nothing.
  • boyse7en

You could have several bikes that feel fine riding round the car park - a rigid bike the right size will feel fine riding round the car park - won't be an awful lot of fun on steep, rocky, muddy trails though will it?

That's true, but my LBS shops won't let me take a selection of £750 bikes of to play around on the moors with them to see which one I like best. The 'car park trial' is about the best I'll get out of them, so my decision will end up being based on a 5 minute ride on tarmac.
    If that's not relevant (and I can see that it might not be) then I'm back to making my decision based on reviews, looks and catalogue spec lists.