Laurent Jalabert at senate anti-doping commission

dave_1
dave_1 Posts: 9,512
edited May 2013 in Pro race
Former world number 1 and world number 1 at telling porky pies too. See he went for the Virenque, Stevo route....maybe doped without my knowledge. All in all, a very dissapointing performance by Jaja...

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/jalaber ... ever-doped

Comments

• Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Once team rider involved in 'active rest' phase between the classics and GTs - nothing to do with the administration of EPO and blood-boosting and reducing 'glow time'? Took out a Swiss licence following the Festina affair over concerns about increased French federation testing. Rode under Manola Saiz and Bjarne Rijs - convicted / confessed dope-peddlers. Yeah, Laurent, we believe you.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • dave_1
    dave_1 Posts: 9,512
    Monty Dog wrote:
    Once team rider involved in 'active rest' phase between the classics and GTs - nothing to do with the administration of EPO and blood-boosting and reducing 'glow time'? Took out a Swiss licence following the Festina affair over concerns about increased French federation testing. Rode under Manola Saiz and Bjarne Rijs - convicted / confessed dope-peddlers. Yeah, Laurent, we believe you.

Well summarized....if he'd said yes, we took EPO etc...he'd be far more popular than he will be now...think he hasn't learned how much fans hate being lied to...
  • specialgueststar
    specialgueststar Posts: 3,418
    There's testimonies all over the place naming him as a 'hub' and infamous 'parties' in his garage.

Think he would have been a handy rider these days but as a classics rider. I think his transition from sprinter to GT rider was almost a perfect advertisement for PEDs
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,563
    He was also a sprinter who suddenly started going uphill very quickly.
  • joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    Maybe Cav should try some then
  • Richmond Racer
    Richmond Racer Posts: 8,561
    TheBigBean wrote:
    He was also a sprinter who suddenly started going uphill very quickly.

2 x polka dot jerseys...remarkable...
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,452
    His win in the Vuelta was more remarkable.

His KoM wins were done via a few day long breaks in the mountains, rather than being the best climber.
  • specialgueststar
    specialgueststar Posts: 3,418
    Jalabert drug party blamed for addiction

During the first day of hearings in the "Cahors" trial, Laurent Roux's younger brother Fabien testified that it was former professional and current French TV consultant Laurent Jalabert who first introduced him to "pot belge". "I was initiated to using pot belge during a party with Laurent Jalabert in 2001," the 24 year-old said. "Together with other professionals, I've seen him injecting himself in the garage of his house that evening. It was a party organised by his fan club. It's frequent in the cycling world. These parties take place during the off-season. I came with my brother, who was a professional. The whole team of the cyclist who was hosting participated in these parties - from mechanic to soigneur."

Roux said he thus consumed the drug mix for the first time in the presence of Jalabert. "It was offered by the rider who hosted the party," he added. Later during the trial, a former teammate of Laurent Jalabert at CSC-Tiscali, who was heard as a witness, confirmed Roux's accusations.
  • sherer
    sherer Posts: 2,460
    andyp wrote:
    His win in the Vuelta was more remarkable.

His KoM wins were done via a few day long breaks in the mountains, rather than being the best climber.

Don't remember it but seems he won every jersey that year too.

We all know he doped so why not just come out and admit it, if he cared about cycling and helping the sport he would come clean
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 18,793
    seems so anachronistic now... pot belge. they will be eating dynamite next.

It's sadly pathetic.

the 1990's! you think it was the 1960's....

Am I right in saying that at the hearing he is passing the buck to the team doctors by claiming he didn't know what they were pumping into him?
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • sherer
    sherer Posts: 2,460
    basically from what I call tell is he's saying he road clean but the team doctors may have given him some stuff without him knowing, he never checked what it was.

These are the people I want out of cycling, still trying to hold to the Omerta. Either fess up properly and help the sport and walk away and stay in silence.
  • mike6
    mike6 Posts: 1,199
    Yes, Its a big disappointment. He was a fav of mine after his horrible sprint crash and face plant in the Tour. Then turning himself into an all rounder. Shame. Fess up and do the right thing.