Ex Rugby Player - Cycling is new passion

2»

Comments

• teisetrotter
    teisetrotter Posts: 342
    Diets are fads. The only secret to losing weight is to put less calories in than you burn.

So you need to start thinking that your balance needs to be 1800 - 2000 calories. Most food has calorie amounts on the side or as somebody stated earlier myfitnesspal phone app has a really good calorie counter and it will estimate calories burned from exercise ...... but be conservative on the entries as they are over generous.

I did this earlier this year, but kept my balance to 1200 calories to lose nearly 4 stone. But that takes an iron will and your family and friends will avoid you as nature turns on your hunter attitude and you can become a serious pain in the backside.

If student life is still like it was 20 years ago, lack of money and spare time will aid this process. But we all know what to do, cut out pork based products, bad snacks, avoid bread as much as possible and put the principle in that one beer = 30mins of hard training. Booze is unfortunately a killer, it's worse than eating pure lard one pint = 220 - 250 calories depending on OBV.

All in all your friend is a low calorie diet and lots of exercise. I did two hours hard training five days a week and then cut my calorie count to 2000 a day ........ the weight fell off me. But that was a seriously sustained mental effort and at my age going from very unfit to doing 2 hours of mad effort in a gym was very tough to sustain, at your age that should be easy. I remember my uni' gym had serious fitness training sessions and when I sustained a rugby injury I hooked up with the rowing club and for a laugh we followed the University of London's Purple team training regime ............... that was serious stuff I couldn't dream of doing now in my forties but I remember then going from a little round front row ball of muscle (and fat) to a lean 10st9lb fitness nutter but with even better bench pressing abilities. Boy it was fun and being serious, no one does fitness regimes better than rowers, they are mental and the regime includes 100's of miles of running, cycling and brain numbing sessions on concept 2 ergo machines and all that before your four or five sessions of mind bending physical sessions on the water and at your height you are the perfect size for rowing.
  • napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    Rather than worry about fasting etc. just try eating a healthy balanced diet with low g.i. Carbs at breakfast and lunch, just meat and veg for tea. Cut the booze.
    That'll take care of the 80lb in about 3 months. Then start looking at tweaking it.
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • At your weight, and lack of activity making any change will have a profound affect.

My advice to you is simply find some people to work along with, keep the "hell bent" competitive attitude you have and go.

My favourite diet for shedding loads of weight (cutting before a fight) was to starve from sunday night to wednesday lunch, worked a treat but I would not recommend it to any one. I only mention it as to carry it out required a serious amount of motivation, and like all starvation diets thats the key. BUT they are unsustainable in the long run.

In your situation, find something you enjoy doing, and do it :D
    When God gave out brains I thought he said trains, and I said "it's OK I already have one".
  • 6ft 6 ex rugby player here!

I started a year ago, just upped the miles slowly and made sure I rode often.

So far I have dropped 2 stone and am comfortably covering 60 - 80 miles a ride.

My advice would be to change the diet, cut out the crap or at least have it very infrequently.

Don't try and push it too hard either, just build up slowly and get out on the bike!