Rotors for Formula The One

Carisman
Carisman Posts: 46
edited May 2013 in MTB buying advice
Hi.. just purchased an almost new set of Formula The One brakes for my Alpine 160! Any advice on rotors would be great! Would you recommend Formula rotors or any other type.. Probably going for 180/203 size. I have 36 float forks... thanks in advance.. G

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Steel and round and true.....it really doesn't matter that much!

Heavier will give you more heat capacity, lighter will be, well, lighter!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • EH_Rob
    EH_Rob Posts: 1,134
    +1. ive had no issues with superstars in the past, and they're pretty cheap.

i run hope ones now but only because they came with the bike. id never buy them.
  • Tom Barton
    Tom Barton Posts: 516
    Why not just go for the formula rotors - at least there will be no doubt regarding compatibility/bite patch/rubbing - (for floating rotors) etc?
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    They are better than the superstar ones, but only in looks, weight and finish really. Not worth the 2-3 times the cost.
  • Carisman
    Thanks guys! Formula rotors are pricey! Plus I need to buy mounts
  • sofaboy73
    sofaboy73 Posts: 574
    Bikedicount.de do them comparatively cheap for original formulas. The lighter weight ones work well, no issues with squeal which you seem to get with formulas more than most
  • miss notax
    miss notax Posts: 2,572
    I use Ashima rotors with my K24 Oro's - some people think they chew up pads more than usual but I really like them, plus they are light and cheap :D
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the number of moments that take your breath away....

Riding a gorgeous ano orange Turner Burner!

Sponsor the CC2CC at http://www.justgiving.com/cc2cc
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    formula rotors tend to come with the mounts. check.

I use Formula,Avid and Diatec with my Ones.
    I also use formula and Diatec with my Oros.

;)
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Carisman
    OK thanks.

To keep things simple for myself I'm going for formula rotors (I think), however unsure of the mount hardwear. If I buy a 200 rotor with post mount. Will this fit my 36 fox fork? Liskwise when buying a 180 rotor for the rear, will the mount fit my Alpine 160? thanks