Parts for a Pyga Oneten29 build

hard-rider
hard-rider Posts: 460
edited May 2013 in MTB buying advice
Whilst on holiday, I got to demo the Pyga at the Cascades pike park (XC and DH world championships venue) in Pietermaritzburg SA last week and I'm completely sold. :D It rode so well and just made riding the trails a pleasure. Up until then I wasn't really sold on 29ers and my previous 29er test rides on a Scott Spark and Trek left me a little underwhelmed so I was a little sceptical and wasn't expecting the Pyga to be really any better. But within 15 mins of riding I knew it felt just right. It didn't feel like a big bike and it felt so natural.

So, I'm thinking of ordering a Pyga frame and am composing a list of parts for the build for which I'd like some opinions or advice with alternatives on.

I'm trying to keep the build fairly light (aiming at 12.5Kg for a large frame) but robust enough to handle most trails (without massive drops or excessively big hits).

Frame already comes with Rockshox Monarch 3 rear shock.
    Rochshox Revs RCT3 dual air 20mm QR fork.
    Stans NoTubes Arch EX 29 rims - Would the Crests be too weak? Which Mavic would be equivalent? I want light but strong wheels as that's one of the biggest areas one can save weight
    Shimano XT Front and rear hubs - How would the Superstar Switch EVO hubs compare quality wise?
    Shimano XT M786 Shadow+ 10 Speed Rear Mech
    Shimano XT M781 Direct Mount 3x10 Front Mech
    Shimano XT M780 10 Speed Triple Chainset
    Shimano XT M771 10 Speed MTB Cassette - Is there much benefit of the XT over the Deore or SLX?
    Shimano SLX M670 10 Speed Trigger Shifter
    Avid Elixir 7 Disc Brakes or Shimano SLX brakes (I've never had any real problems with my Elixir 5s so don't mind having Elixirs. Price will most likely dictate which I go for.)
    Any headset recommendations? (ZS44/28.6 Top and the IS52/40 Bottom)
    Truvativ Press Fit Bottom Bracket MTB BB92 - Couldn't find a Shimano
    Bars, stem and seat post still to be decided.

I'd appreciate any feedback or opinions / thoughts.

Now I just have to find the cheapest source for the gear because it adds up to a little more than I hoped to spend.

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Personally I'd go 2x10, slightly better chain control and unless you are doing a lot of climbing all the gears you need. (and a little lighter!).

Shifter - XT over SLX, XT shifter SLX mech is nicer than SLX shifter and XT mech.

Shimano brakes over Avid for me.

Hubs, XT for quality, but the SS hubs with SS build will save enough to be able to upspec elsewhere and that is what I'd do.

But it's your money and not mine, looking forward to your build in the YMB forum!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • hard-rider
    hard-rider Posts: 460
    Thanks. Interesting that the XT shifter / SLX mech is better than the other way around. I'll take your advice on that.

The demo Pyga had a 2x10 SRAM X9 setup and I found the 2x10 hard work at some of the steeper points of the trail. I'll run the 3x10 vs 2x10 through a gear calculator and see how different the ratios end up being. I like a large front ring for times when I'm road riding and require the taller 42 ring gear. I haven't seen any 2x10 with a 42 ring. Closest is 40 but that comes with 28 small ring. If I was doing a 2x10 then I'd need a 24 small ring. I'd have to compromise on one end.

What do you mean by SS hubs and SS build? Do you mean SS wheel build? I was going to buy the rims, hubs, spokes etc and build the wheels myself then get them trued if I can't get it right. Maybe a bit too ambitious?