Which disc pads?

veronese68
veronese68 Posts: 27,765
edited May 2013 in Commuting chat
Looking for a bit of hive mind advice. The BB7s on my kinesis are wonderful, easy predictable stopping rain or shine. Not so predictable is the amount of noise they make. Sometimes they are almost silent, but in the wet they are very screechy. I seem to remember someone saying they changed their pads due to the amount of noise and the replacements were much quieter. But I cannot find the post, may not have been on here to be fair.
I think MRS rates the Superstar pads and he has covered a lot of miles on BB7s, but which compound? Used almost entirely on road with the occasional off road path.
I have cleaned the discs with isopropyl alcohol which helps in the dry, but they are still screechy in the wet.

Comments

• essex-commuter
    essex-commuter Posts: 2,188
    I changed my front BB7 to an organic pad and it is definitely quieter, the braking feels more progressive for some reason too. I can't for the life of me remember which brand I bought, I think I have the card they came on at home in my boxes of bits somewhere..

Looking forward to the answers as i would like to change the original back pad to something new (it's done over 7000 miles and still going strong though).
  • veronese68
    Superstar do organic as I recall. The back is generally a lot quieter than the front unless it's very wet. I wonder if the light carbon forks are amplifying the sound of the front brake.
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    Yes - I use organic Superstars. They can get noisy in the wet (on the L2C ride in the pouring rain, some wag suggested I oil them...) especially as they age. As they are pretty cheap bought in packs of 5 sets, you can afford to change them pretty regularly.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • veronese68
    Good, 2 votes for organic sounds like the way to go. I think I'll order some as spares in case they don't settle down.
    Thanks
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,310
    Yes, organic do squeak a bit less than sintered
    left the forum March 2023
  • bobinski
    bobinski Posts: 570
    My bb7's quietened down after a few hundred miles. i suspect you have already covered that distance though. I have the same frame and fork and dont think the fork amplified the sound. Its just gone. Until tomorrow mornings commute no doubt!
  • meanredspider
    I think Volagi do a video on noisy brakes and other BB7 set up issues and how to solve them
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • gbsahne001
    gbsahne001 Posts: 1,973
    my BB7s now quietened down and also stops me after approx 200 miles, I was getting worried at one point that they weren't going to be comparable with the V brakes they replaced.
  • essex-commuter
    gbsahne wrote:
    and also stops me after approx 200 miles

Jeez that's some stopping distance!
  • meanredspider
    gbsahne wrote:
    my BB7s now quietened down and also stops me after approx 200 miles, I was getting worried at one point that they weren't going to be comparable with the V brakes they replaced.

Doesn't sound like they were set up right or maybe bedded in right or the discs weren't clean. I find mine work best after 20 miles or so.
  • veronese68
    I've probably done about 200 miles on mine. They bedded in with regards to stopping power quite quickly, maybe the noise will now start to calm down. I'll give them a bit longer.
  • gbsahne001
    gbsahne001 Posts: 1,973
    gbsahne wrote:

Doesn't sound like they were set up right ....

Possibly, I did set them up (again) yesterday lunchtime after reading up on the subject :oops: and they certainly seem to have improved.
  • essex-commuter
    Well that was a coincidence..all this talk about pads and tonight I had a major FAIL on the way home. Loud noise and instant no back brake, just a metal on metal squeal. I wound out the adjusters and rode home, took the pads out to find this. Still, they had done 7000 miles. Not sure what has actually happened...any ideas?

I need new springs, do the Superstars come with springs or can I buy them seperately?

I've heard of the p*ncture fairy, we now have a br*ke pad fairy!

IMG_20130517_160227_zps4f44b884.jpg
  • meanredspider
    Well that was a coincidence..all this talk about pads and tonight I had a major FAIL on the way home. Loud noise and instant no back brake, just a metal on metal squeal. I wound out the adjusters and rode home, took the pads out to find this. Still, they had done 7000 miles. Not sure what has actually happened...any ideas?

I need new springs, do the Superstars come with springs or can I buy them seperately?

I've heard of the p*ncture fairy, we now have a br*ke pad fairy!

IMG_20130517_160227_zps4f44b884.jpg

I'd imagine the pad wore down to the point that the spring is in contact with the rotor and it's just gobbled it up.

Yes - they come with springs
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    top tip for you new converts to discs. carry a spare set of pads.

Most people dont check the pads as they dont really see them. most are also very easy to swap out.

also when you do change the pads as part of the procedure please clean the pistons before pushing them home (hydros) also using the old pads to push on is good as it protects the pistons (yes they can spliter if pushed on directly).

brake noise. some times you can not get rid of it some brake and fork/frame/wheel combos just resonate at the right frequency. A change in rotor size can often fix that.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • essex-commuter

I'd imagine the pad wore down to the point that the spring is in contact with the rotor and it's just gobbled it up.

Yes - they come with springs

Cheers MRS. 4 sets ordered.
  • meanredspider
    nicklouse wrote:
    top tip for you new converts to discs. carry a spare set of pads.

+1 - I carry pads and a spring. BB7s take a good shove to clip in.
  • veronese68
    Yes, that's a good idea to carry a spare set of pads. I'll start doing that, I'll get some spares for the MTB as well.
    Completely agree about cleaning pistons before pushing them back, makes life much easier in the long run.
  • essex-commuter
    Been using the organic Superstars for about a week now, 50/50 wet dry. Excellent recommendation, thank you.

And I got Hairbo's with them direct from Superstar...result!