GentlemanBear
GentlemanBear Posts: 280
edited June 2013 in Pro race

Comments

• afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    Same substance as Dmitriy Fofonov in 2008;

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/other_s ... 527891.stm

Heptaminol is a vasodilator, which is a drug that relaxes muscles in blood vessels, sometimes used to treat low blood pressure.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    Inner Ring has written an interesting piece on this. He says that as ag2r are a member of MPCC and this their second positive in 12 months they should have to sit out the Dauphine and Tour de Suisse.

A key moment for MPCC - do they inforce their own rules or do they fudge the issue again like they did when Garmin signed Dekker. Their credibility is on the line.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • Richmond Racer
    Richmond Racer Posts: 8,561
    RichN95 wrote:
    Inner Ring has written an interesting piece on this. He says that as ag2r are a member of MPCC and this their second positive in 12 months they should have to sit out the Dauphine and Tour de Suisse.

A key moment for MPCC - do they inforce their own rules or do they fudge the issue again like they did when Garmin signed Dekker. Their credibility is on the line.

And...Lampre are a probationary member MPCC effective Feb...and Miguel Ubeto's just tested positive for GW1516

Right, MPCC, are you just all fur coat and no knickers? (harking back to Carry on, there...)
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    10 AUTO-SUSPENSION
    In the event that a team member « MPCC » is facing several cases of positive or incapacity imposed on its competitors, the team agrees to temporarily suspend its activity (to implement any corrective action that it deems appropriate).

The bit in bold is an easy get-out, surely? Sack the rider, instant "corrective action", carry on as normal.
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 18,793
    edited May 2013

And...Lampre are a probationary member MPCC effective Feb...and Miguel Ubeto's just tested positive for GW1516

thats the gear that promotes aggressive cancers!!!!

they are insane if they are doing this stuff
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • Richmond Racer
    Richmond Racer Posts: 8,561

they are insane if the are doing this stuff

Loco, just loco
  • sadlybiggins
    sadlybiggins Posts: 158
    Assuming he knew what he was taking; it's even more frightening to me if he didn't know or ask
  • Vino'sGhost
    Vino'sGhost Posts: 4,129

they are insane if the are doing this stuff

Loco, just loco

Relax be tranquil
  • Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 5,160
    afx237vi wrote:
    Same substance as Dmitriy Fofonov in 2008;

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/other_s ... 527891.stm

Heptaminol is a vasodilator, which is a drug that relaxes muscles in blood vessels, sometimes used to treat low blood pressure.

The beeb is wrong. A vasodilaor would not be used to treat low pressure, and would be pretty useless at enhancing performance. I think their writer looked the drug up on wikipedia and mixed up hypo and hypertension. It has been used to treat low blood pressure (hypotension), because it increases the strength of cardiac contraction - putting BP up, not down. Not sure this would be a good thing in sport. My pharmacological guess is that it would have some amphetamine-like and/or clenbuterol-like activity - anorexic, maybe fatburning, and increasing lean muscle, so possibly more use in training.

For the nerdy among us, this is a reasonable summary of WADA banned drugs:
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2439527/ but it doesn't discuss the evidence for them actually enhancing performance (which is, in most cases, very thin).
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    Not good. This is the guy that tried that late breakaway and was looking quite good on stage 4.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • sherer
    sherer Posts: 2,460
    this whole sitting out races seems a bit stupid to me. How can the UCI \ ASO or organisers sell the race if teams just drop out at the last minute. How will they fill that slot ?
  • davidof
    davidof Posts: 3,095
    He claims it was in a herbal remedy he took to clear lactic acid from his blood but admits it was his responsibility to check what he was taking. Does that sound plausible to anyone?
    BASI Nordic Ski Instructor
    Instagramme
  • danlikesbikes
    danlikesbikes Posts: 3,898
    davidof wrote:
    He claims it was in a herbal remedy he took to clear lactic acid from his blood but admits it was his responsibility to check what he was taking. Does that sound plausible to anyone?

Plausible yes, genuine reason who knows?

Take it that his B sample if he contests will show the same thing as the A sample too so who knows what will happen next, but looking at rulings for this drug before have been mixed outcomes.
    Pain hurts much less if its topped off with beating your mates to top of a climb.
  • frenchfighter
    Google translate:

Affected by the positive control which he has been on the Tour of Italy, Sylvain Georges (AG2R La Mondiale) wished to speak through an open letter which he says have been negligent in taking the Ginkor Fort, a prescription drug, intended to promote the drainage of his legs. In the case of the Auvergne, there is no question of doping. Unfortunately the rider knew that the product, as banal as it is, the Heptaminol contained a banned molecule. "I did not realize it, writes Sylvain Georges. My negligence was not to check in detail the complete composition of the product and not to be referred to the team physician. Since the beginning of my career , I make sure to treat me the most natural way, homeopathy as often as possible, and have a healthy lifestyle with a diet tailored to my sport. Doping is something I totally rejects forever. While I was attending for the first time in a Grand Tour, I would never put my health, the reputation of the team and myself in danger. I did not think to take risks with this medication. I did not cheat and I wish you have no doubt on my loyalty. I clean cycling and I never have thought of this discipline in a different way. "
    Contador is the Greatest
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,661
    RichN95 wrote:
    Their credibility is on the line.

They have some credibility???
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 5,160
    Google translate:

I make sure to treat me the most natural way, homeopathy

If he is this stupid he may be telling the truth!
  • BR 1979
    BR 1979 Posts: 296
    Mad_Malx wrote:
    Google translate:

I make sure to treat me the most natural way, homeopathy

If he is this stupid he may be telling the truth!
    Can't get more natural than water!! :S
  • dsoutar
    dsoutar Posts: 1,746
    RichN95 wrote:

AG2R Out of Dauphine: http://www.lequipe.fr/Cyclisme-sur-rout ... end/372739
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 14,549
    dsoutar wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:

AG2R Out of Dauphine: http://www.lequipe.fr/Cyclisme-sur-rout ... end/372739

I really wasn't expecting that.

There's debate about whether they should be required to sit out the Tour de Suisse, apparenty the "8 day" suspension is from the French "huit jours", which actually means "one week".

I guess the preferential treatment for MPCC teams must be more important than the UCI points and potential fine.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • frenchfighter
    He has been sacked.

“He (Georges) is no longer part of the business,” team manager Vincent Lavenu said, warning of tough sanctions both for the team and the rider.

“You don’t do it (sacking) easily. But we’ve got very strict internal rules. There was a definite breach.”
    Contador is the Greatest
  • DeadCalm
    DeadCalm Posts: 4,242
    I was without internet access when this happened. Needless to say I'm very, very sad. I was a big fan of his and I tend to think it's probably negligence on his part rather than anything else but he knew the rules and must face the consequences. AG2R had really no choice but to sack him.
  • frenchfighter
    Yeah it seems very harsh but then maybe there are things we dont know. It pretty much ruins his career which he has no doubt spent a lot of his life trying to achieve. Hopefully he will find a way to come back - not sure what French team might be up for taking him? I suppose this is an example of today`s riders having a harder time as a result of past rider`s indiscretions.
    Contador is the Greatest