CX Replacement for Hybrid

kevinharley
kevinharley Posts: 554
edited May 2013 in Commuting general
Apologies to anyone who has also read this in the 'road' forum, but thought it would be worthwhile (to me!) to get the views on the same topic from members in this forum ...

My Boardman Hybrid Comp was recently stolen.

Insurance Company have agreed to provide a replacement bike, but I want drop bars and to keep the disc brakes, so I'm considering a CX bike. Most of the bike's use is commute and journeys for work, with occasional evening / weekend rides. The bike needs to be a bit of a do-it-all - mudguards, rack, able to tow a Chariot Trailer, and ... although I am never likely to use it for its proper CX purpose , it would be nice to take it on some milder off-road trails ...

Not sure how much yet the Insurance will cough up, but it won't be a lot, and looking at the relative prices of the Boardman (£500), and disc-equipped CX bikes (starting at £700 upwards), I guess I'll either need to put some of my own money towards it, or accept a cash payout and go second-hand (which I'm happy to do)

Here are a few options I'm considering - so far limited to what Wheelies Direct would provide on behalf of the Insurance ...

Roux Conquest 3500 (£779)
http://www.bikereplacement.co.uk/p60727 ... -Bike.aspx

Genesis Croix De Fer (£899) (love the look of this bike, and rode a mates a few weeks ago ... worth the extra, given that I'm skint??)
http://www.bikereplacement.co.uk/p57505 ... -Bike.aspx

Roux Etape 250 (at £699, much closer to what I can probably afford ... and its a touring bike with disc brakes .. presumably it would be tough enough for my requirements? Is it likely to be heavier than a cx?)
http://www.bikereplacement.co.uk/p60729 ... -Bike.aspx

Ridgeback Cerium Touring Bike (£849)
http://www.bikereplacement.co.uk/p48084 ... -Bike.aspx

Saracen Urban Hack 1 (£899)
http://www.bikereplacement.co.uk/p56750 ... -Bike.aspx

TBH, think I'll struggle to find the funds to go up to £899 ... but have seen the Saracen Hack second hand for £500 ono recently ... would that be a good bike for the cash?

Any other suggestions / thoughts?

Thanks

Comments

• Cupras
    Cupras Posts: 145
    None of the links work for me.
  • BelgianBeerGeek
    BelgianBeerGeek Posts: 5,226
    No, nor for me. I checked out the Saracens though. They seem a bit underwhelming on the spec for the price.

What size are you? I have a CX bike I need to sell.
    Ecrasez l’infame
  • kevinharley
    about 5 ft 9 .. probably looking for a 54/55 frame? What have you got?
  • kevinharley
    Links ^^ now fixed hopefully ... so what d'ya reckon?

Thanks
    Kevin
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    I would argue with the insurance if they insist on Wheelies - I had to complain but when I did, mine agreed to send a cheque made out to the bike shop of my choosing. I would try for that and get a Boardman CX Team. £60 off right now, plus another 10% if you join British cycling, plus quidco would make it less than £800.
  • kevinharley
    I can't really afford to go to £800 (or anything like); I was under-insured on the bike that got stolen in terms of the added extra's & acessories (mudguards, rack, toolbag and tools, lights etc), so will 'only' get a cash payout of £500 max (or £875 less £200 excess to spend with Wheelies). The Insurance Company seem willing to make a cash payment, and because I'm under-insured, will (I have been informed), waive the excess.

I'm seeing a second hand (but reportedly little used) Saracen Urban Hack 1 at the weekend; the guy selling is after £500 ono for it ... if it fits, I think that will probably be the best option for me at the moment ... £500 (or if I can get it down to £450ish) for a bike that was £899 a few months ago seems like a reasonalbe deal?

(But I really really like the Genesis CDF .. its just too much for me though :-()
  • kevinharley
    C2W Scheme!! Why didn't I think of it before?! Our work scheme opens on Monday, although it is limited to Halfords (but I understand that Halfords can source bikes other than their own brands ...)

I can't find an online calculator, but for those that have expereince of this, if I put, say, £800 into the Boardman CX, what would my monthly payments be (I'm not a higher rate tax-payer!), and what would be the fair market value at the end of the period?
  • jimmypippa
    jimmypippa Posts: 1,712
    Have you seen this thread:

Boardman CX Owners Thread

Given that you want a CX and your cycle to work is based on Halfords...
  • kevinharley
    Thanks for the advice everyone (both directly, and indirectly through the other forum threads I've looked at).

Took a cash settlement from the Insurance in the end. Looked at C2W, but the bikes I wanted were just a little bit out of what I could afford on the monthly payment, and besides, it had already taken a week and a half to sort out the insurance, and i really need a bike for daily use.

Managed to pick up a Saracen Urban Hack 1, with just a few months and not many miles or wear & tear under its belt, for just a bit over half the full new price ... so was pleased with that!

First shakedown ride last night ... 42km, mix of road, 'easy' trails, bridlepaths etc ... like it a lot! :P