Saddle height/Big feet

Simmo72
Simmo72 Posts: 262
edited May 2013 in Road general
Hi
I've been thinking about this for a while. I am 6ft 4 with size 13 feet. I tend to find when comparing to other riders, my saddle height is low, as in I can easily touch the floor whilst on the saddle, ie my toes without really straining. Everyone else I see tends to struggle to do this. Does foot size play a part in this? effectively its a hinge and mine are longer than most, therefore it would make sense why its easier for me to touch the ground than people with size 8's. Its not an issue but I'm paranoid that I'm riding too low but it feels right (raising any more overloads my hips). I tend to pedal slightly heel down.

Interested to see what you think.

Comments

• drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    All that matters is saddle height when you're pedalling. Can you post a photo of you on the your bike with your one foot at the lowest position? That will give an idea.
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • estampida
    estampida Posts: 1,008
    you are a copy of me (feet 1 size bigger than mine)

the whole saddle height thing is a personal choice, as even folk our height will have either longer legs or torso (I have quite a short torso so fit medium frames nicely, just a massive seatpost required)

as long as your leg is the correct straightness at the bottom of the pedal stroke its fine :lol:
  • farrina
    farrina Posts: 360
    Simmo72 wrote:
    Hi
    I've been thinking about this for a while. I am 6ft 4 with size 13 feet. I tend to find when comparing to other riders, my saddle height is low, as in I can easily touch the floor whilst on the saddle, ie my toes without really straining.
    I'm likewise 6-4 with size 49 (assumed to be 13 feet). I must confess myself somewhat surprised at your statement and would love to see a photograph of you on your bike (both clipped in) and feet touching the floor. You must have very flexible ankles - did you ever do ballet ? :D

I am hoping to go out on my bike tonight so I shall check and report back.

Cheers

Alan
    Regards
    Alan
  • Simmo72
    estampida wrote:
    you are a copy of me (feet 1 size bigger than mine)

the whole saddle height thing is a personal choice, as even folk our height will have either longer legs or torso (I have quite a short torso so fit medium frames nicely, just a massive seatpost required)

as long as your leg is the correct straightness at the bottom of the pedal stroke its fine :lol:

Yep, I ride a smaller frame with a fair trunk of a seat post, but as far as correct straightness, thats just it, its not but if I raise my saddle then makes my hips cry with pain. so I'm thinking I'm at the max of my limit, not necessarily restricted by leg stretch but by my hip flexors.

inside leg is 99 cm (crotch to floor) and saddle height is about 86-86.5cm (bb to top of saddle)
    I must get a photo and post it up.
  • Simmo72
    [/quote]
    I'm likewise 6-4 with size 49 (assumed to be 13 feet). I must confess myself somewhat surprised at your statement and would love to see a photograph of you on your bike (both clipped in) and feet touching the floor. You must have very flexible ankles - did you ever do ballet ? :D
    [/quote]

I think you might have the wrong idea. my feet touch the floor when I'm not clipped in, i'm not that flexible!!
  • farrina
    farrina Posts: 360
    Simmo72 wrote:
    I think you might have the wrong idea. my feet touch the floor when I'm not clipped in, i'm not that flexible!!
    No I was thinking of two separate photographs - the one of you clipped in was to give us all an idea as to how high you saddle was set in relation to leg length ie to see if your saddle height looked to low.

If you could do as you thought I had inferred then not only would you be a contortionist but I would like to be your manager as well :D

Regards

Alan
    Regards
    Alan
  • jouxplan
    jouxplan Posts: 147
    I'm a relatively medium sized chap (5'10"), but with size 11 feet :oops: I think the issue of foot size that you raise is interesting, but in my view, foot size only makes a big difference to saddle height (from the 'norm') (whatever that is) if you happen to be a toe dipper. If you have big feet AND you are a toe dipper, then the saddle is likely to need to be higher than it would be if you had more petite feet. As you, like me, are a heel dropper, then the saddle height you have is more likely to be similar to that of a person with the same leg measurements and smaller feet (are you still with me?!!). That would then lead to the situation you describe, of being able to more easily touch the ground with your toes.

The thing with big feet is that if you have any weakness or instability in your ankle / arch, the whole lever thing which you quite rightly mention, really comes into play - the instability will tend to be exacerbated. The solution to that is usually to move the cleats back as far as possible on the shoe, to help stabilise things. This is then likely to require a reduction in saddle height............aaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrggggghhhhhhhhhhh! :D
    Trek Project One Series 6 Madone 2010
    Trek Madone 5.9 2006
    Trek Madone 5.2 2004
    Cougar Custom 1995
    Viscount Aerospace 1982
    Some mountain bikes gathering dust
  • Simmo72
    farrina wrote:
    Simmo72 wrote:
    No I was thinking of two separate photographs - the one of you clipped in was to give us all an idea as to how high you saddle was set in relation to leg length ie to see if your saddle height looked to low.

If you could do as you thought I had inferred then not only would you be a contortionist but I would like to be your manager as well :D

Regards

Alan

I see what you mean now, yes, I'll have to get the Mrs to take some shots of me on the rollers. Out of interest what would you management fees have been?
  • Simmo72
    jouxplan wrote:
    I'm a relatively medium sized chap (5'10"), but with size 11 feet :oops: I think the issue of foot size that you raise is interesting, but in my view, foot size only makes a big difference to saddle height (from the 'norm') (whatever that is) if you happen to be a toe dipper. If you have big feet AND you are a toe dipper, then the saddle is likely to need to be higher than it would be if you had more petite feet. As you, like me, are a heel dropper, then the saddle height you have is more likely to be similar to that of a person with the same leg measurements and smaller feet (are you still with me?!!). That would then lead to the situation you describe, of being able to more easily touch the ground with your toes.

The thing with big feet is that if you have any weakness or instability in your ankle / arch, the whole lever thing which you quite rightly mention, really comes into play - the instability will tend to be exacerbated. The solution to that is usually to move the cleats back as far as possible on the shoe, to help stabilise things. This is then likely to require a reduction in saddle height............aaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrggggghhhhhhhhhhh! :D

Thats an interesting view and it makes sense. I have moved my cleats far back (specialized have more set back than most) which I find more comfortable.

I tried a specialized bg fit but it wasn't much help, they got the cleat position right but the saddle height was so high it was agony, even after slowly increasing rather than 1 big move). BG does not take into account medical freaks like me with hip flexors that should only be issued to people playing lawn bowls.
  • BigLee1
    BigLee1 Posts: 449
    The height of the bottom bracket will play a part too