Tora SL

ruggerbugger
ruggerbugger Posts: 128
edited May 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
I have some Tora SL forks from a kona caldera 2009 & I'm wondering can I adjust the amount of travel & get a firmer spring for it? I'm an 18 stone ex rugby player & although the forks are coping admirably under the load just want to see if I can tweak them a tad.

Thanks for any info. :)

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Some you can adjust the travel on, you have to take them apart to find out....

You can get stiffer springs, yes.

I'd also use a heavier fork oil to increase the compression damping.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • hairy_boy
    hairy_boy Posts: 345
    Yes, I have a Tora SL from 2009 or 2010.

the spring is contained in the left hand fork leg (ie not the one with lockout on top).

You undo the compression dial on the left hand top leg (philips type screwdriver I think) then undo and remove the large plastic nut (think its a 22mm socket required) and this reveals the spring. KEEP YOUR FACE WELL OUT THE WAY INCASE THE SPRING IS PRE-TENSIONED AND PUSHES THE TOPCAP OFF FAST - shouldn't ever happen but best to work safely, you only have one face !).

There is no oil in the compartment where the spring is located - just lots of grease and a rubber sleeve around the spring to stop things rattling.

Got my stiffer spring from TF tuned I think it was about £25 going back a few years now.

Changing the spring alone was enough for me - no idea on the impact of changing oil weights in the right hand leg.