Is it possible?

Militant monkey
Militant monkey Posts: 5
edited May 2013 in Commuting general
Hi Chaps,

So myself and the lady are moving back to London after a year away on the sunny south coast, not ideal but it will have to do.

Anyway this means I have had to relocate jobs, as we used to live in south west London (not sure Surbiton qualifies), we are looking at moving there. However my job is based in Enfield, not ideal either but wondering if that would be commutable? Not as an every day thing but just like to know what peoples thoughts are?

Added to this I will also have to get a new bike, being a MTB rider by choice and previous commuted south London on a hybrid. I think some sort of road of cross bike would do, that's probably a different thread.

I figure that the route would be around 25ish miles, so 50 miles in a day. Is that even do-able a couple of times a week? if I could get people's thoughts it would be appreciated.

MM

Comments

• rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    Its certainly do-able 2/3 times a week, I wouldnt want to do it everyday. and for that sort of distance i'd certainly want a road bike.

Although its doable have you considered the time that it will take, travel each way on the bike - getting up, changing at the other end? Same on the way home - this will add 30/40 minutes travel time!
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • small_bloke
    small_bloke Posts: 222
    Why don't you just call the title - "25 mile commute possible? ".

Instead of a non-descript title and a half page essay? You might get more replies?
  • daddy0
    daddy0 Posts: 686
    In rush hour traffic its going to take you a while - I can do 20mph average going up and down Biggin Hill all day, or up to 25mph on a flatish route, but in London rush hour traffic that goes down to 15-17mph and I go through brake pads every few months. This is of course on a decent road bike.