Losing my footing.... New pedals needed?

Stevolad
Stevolad Posts: 13
edited May 2013 in MTB beginners
Alright troops,

Since getting back in the saddle so to speak, one of my two gripes is the chain rattling about over rocks n roots and losing my footing on roughish terrain......
Was wondering what your suggestions were to resolve these issues.
I am riding a standard Cube Acid 26 bought new two month ago and ridden a dozen times at local trails - Hamsterley Forest n Guisborough Woods aswell as round the doors. Regarding the occasional loss of footing I started thinkin about the peddles and looked at some flats vs SPD's.
all comments and suggestions welcome as I seam to have become unbelievably indecisive in my old age lol

Comments

• neddie
    neddie Posts: 101
    Was having the same problems I solved it with spds now where I go my bike goes :)
    Boardman Comp.

Norco Fluid
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    Spds if you want otherwise some pinned flats and good shoes. Neoprene stay protector to stop the noise.
  • peter413
    peter413 Posts: 5,120
    Depends entirely what the current pedals are and what shoes you are using.

FWIW, I've lost my footing more using SPD's than I have with flats. I know it doesn't make sense but my technique for keeping my feet on the pedals is pretty good (and I've got nice grippy shoes with long pins in my pedals) whereas I loose my footing with SPD's when the bike is kicked sideways and my foot just unclips. Neither happens often though.

If you aren't loosing your chain and it's just making noise just put up with it I would say. An old inner tube or chain stay protecter will help if you don't already have one but otherwise it's no big deal, just a bit of noise. Bikes make lots of other noises as well.
  • Myster101
    Myster101 Posts: 856
    Decent set of flats (Superstar Nano's etc) and something like a Bionicon chain device if you want to stop chain slap, or an old inner tube wrap.

Scott Genius MC 30 RIP
    Nukeproof Mega AM 275 Comp
    Cube LTD Rigid Commuter
    Ribble 7005 Sportive
  • Stevolad
    Thanks for the replies fella's, the pedals on the bike are just the standard ones that came with the bike and I wear a pair of Salomon Xover i think they are called. Again, opinions are varied with the flats vs SPD's :?
    I will have a word with the lads in the shop i got the bike from as it's just bedding in so i am assuming it will need a once over soon. The chain stays on but occasionally jumps which has resulted in me losing my footing, so I will mention that too.
    As with most things a bit of trial and error is required so I might get a cheapish pair of both pedals to try out and see what works best for me if there is no definitive answer.

Cheers
  • peter413
    I really don't think the shoes will be helping. My Salamon boots grip great while walking but I've never had a shoe that has as little grip on pedals, even Croc's grip better! Get yourself some Sombrio shoes (they're cheap on CRC, just choose the style you like). No point in getting anything else IMHO when the Sombrio's are less than half the price of a pair of Five Ten's and grip nearly as well, stay dry far better, look nicer and will probably last longer. They're cheap enough that it doesn't make so much sense getting a pair of boots either.

If they're just the cheapie plastic things that come as standard on most bikes get rid of them. Replace them with some Wellgo MG1's if you want light or some Exotic Flat's (same as the Superstar Nano but cheaper) if you feel you need something slightly tougher.

As for flats vs clips, only you can decide. No one can make the decision for you and really the only way to know if they are for you is to try them for an extended period. I would always suggest having a pair of flats handy though as they are much better for learning skills like bunnyhops etc as you can't just lift the bike with your clips, you have to use the right technique. It's also useful to learn to keep your feet on the pedals instead of just relying on the clips to keep your foot from bouncing off, not only for you but for your bike. If you can do this you will ride a lot smoother and be easier on the bike.
  • Stevolad
    Cheers mate i will look into the bits you have mentioned. Thanks for taking the time to reply, much appreciated.

What are the opinions on eXotic AM-DH clipless pedals which are flats one side and SPD on the other for £32.99 to try and see which I prefer save swapping pedals over???
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/eXotic-AM-DH- ... 2ec1db8cc4
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Either get decent flats or SPD's, a half way house is not the best of both worlds but the worst!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • peter413
    As The Beginner says, stay away from half and half pedals. The flat side is never usually as good as a proper flat pedal and you can never guarantee you'll get the right side you want which is a real pain. Swapping pedals takes a minute to do, takes far longer to change your shoes.

Shimano M530's are only £20 and are good SPD's, I use a pair on the road bike and the rigid. They have a small cage so are a little easier to clip in to and provide some support with certain shoes. The real cost with clips is the shoes, they cost just the same as a pair for flat pedals, if not more and you don't really want to be getting a super cheap pair as most of them are really horrible so it make you feel like you hate clips when in fact it is just the shoes.
  • anj132
    anj132 Posts: 299
    Dip your heels on descents, this will help a lot to keep your feet in place.

But if you have pedals with no through pins, then I would look at replacing them with some decent flats and using a flat shoe such as a skate shoe or 5.10s if you can afford them.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    I'd suggest getting (in the short term) a second hand pair of pedals with proper pins (and OK bearings) and some reasonable shoes (you can use as Trainers if you decide to go SPD) and go from there. You can get a useable pair of pedals off ebay for about £6 delivered, useable enough to see if it's what you want - then sell them afterwards!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • pidy
    pidy Posts: 24
    I had exactly the same problem.

Had the bike a month now and was loosing my footing.

I changed over to SPD's Shimano M520 that i found for £17 on Wiggle. i got the shoes from Halfords which are HBH and were £49n but had 25% off so paid £37.50 for them, very comfy and look the part too.. They are the best purchase to date. very comfortable shoe and does exactly what i want them to do. After a cycle up the road i got the nack straight away of clipping and unclipping then hit the trail. Awesome to feel connected and gave me so much more confidence.

All for £55. bargain.
  • tudj
    tudj Posts: 254
    anj132 wrote:
    Dip your heels on descents, this will help a lot to keep your feet in place.

This is good advice, make sure your technique is right before thinking it's only something SPDs will solve. Here's a pic to show what anj132 means, look at his heel position.

p4pb8206525.jpg

I have Superstar flats and 5.10 Freeriders, I couldn't ask for more grip, sometimes it's too much, I have to lift my feet off the pedal to move my foot position around :P