Saddle and Chamois problems...help!!

mazz59
mazz59 Posts: 4
edited July 2013 in Women's cycling forum
Hi There,

I am hoping someone may be able to help me. I have been cycling for around a year now and have suffered from real discomfort when on the bike. I have tried padded and un-padded shorts, gel padded undershorts and have a women's specific specialized saddle but I still struggle (really bad friction burns and discomfort)! I end up wriggling around on my rides and its so distracting.
Can anyone recommend a good saddle that isn't too narrow? I am quite light/narrow in frame but find the saddle I have is maybe too narrow(even though it was fitted at a shop by my seat bone size)...I seem to find a mountain bike saddle a little more comfortable. Also any good bib shorts with a good seat pad?? I am doing fairly long rides at times 5-6 hours so would love to find something that helps over most of that time. I have read Castelli shorts are good, is this really the case??
Thanks very much

Comments

• forward_loop
    forward_loop Posts: 314
    friction burns etc... you are using chamois creme ?

this might improve things 95% ? Its a universal fix all for men and women

on the other matters I leave to others to recommend - though my GF generally finds that good quality mens shorts are as good as womens
  • mazz59
    Hi, yeah I use a chamois cream on longer rides which def helps a lot. Just wondered what others may recommend to try and prevent it. Thanks for commenting :)
  • Hi there,

I used to use vaseline in moi nether regions but now I prefer ASSOS Chamois cream. It has a cooling effect and prevents friction. Also try and move about during your rides taking the pressure off. My saddle is a Selle Italia Lady Diva gel flow and it is pretty comfy plus I wear mens shorts mainly as my club is very male dominated and thats all they have :roll:

Anyway ood luck :D
  • mazz59
    Hi, Thanks for your comment. I have been using a women's specific cream- Hoo Ha Ride Glide which is brilliant. I will look into the men's shorts and see what they offer, I hadn't as I thought the padding was different for different anatomy. I have also heard of the Selle Italia saddle you mention and was thinking of getting this one but again was unsure as its quite expensive when you have to buy before you have tried it :(
    Thanks for your advice :)
  • msmancunia
    msmancunia Posts: 1,415
    Maybe try a saddle with a cut-out? Standing up every now and again works for me, and Rapha chamois cream is fantastic and smells lovely. Rapha women's shorts are the only ones that haven't given me any trouble - really thick pad, but they are a bit long if you've got short legs and ultra expensive. I got two pairs in a sample sale last year so maybe register on their website and see if they've got another coming up.
    Commute: Chadderton - Sportcity
  • chrisaonabike
    chrisaonabike Posts: 1,914
    mazz59 wrote:
    I will look into the men's shorts and see what they offer
    :shock:
    Is the gorilla tired yet?
  • Baby Trek
    Baby Trek Posts: 118
    I have been through several saddles to get one that is comfy - now have a Sel Italia cut out saddle and it is much better. Use chamois cream for friction rub problems and I use Altura Synergy gel pants...made life much better!
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,582
    mazz59 wrote:
    I will look into the men's shorts and see what they offer
    :shock:

:lol:
  • Baby Trek
    Baby Trek Posts: 118
    It really is an individual trial and error thing. Some bike shops let you loan different saddles to try before you buy. I have been through many saddles and many shorts to get the right ones. I have ended up with Altura gel shorts and selle italia cut out saddle and am comfortable on all lengths of ride.
  • ut_och_cykla
    ut_och_cykla Posts: 1,594
    Check out your whole bike position - if you cant't get comfy with good shorts, creme and fitted sadel I would guess yor position is 'wrong' for you - too long reach or too low usually contributes to sadel problems as well as sitting too high (rocking hips) or too low (no pressure relief during pedal stroke.) Hope you get it sorted!