Boardman freehub?????

col230
col230 Posts: 10
edited July 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi, I have a 2012/13 Boardman team MTB, I need to replace the free hub body, I believe the hubs are made by formula, but I can't find any info on the free hub, I spoke with Halfords about sourcing a replacement but I had no luck. Could anyone help????

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Seems quite a short life? Why does it need replacing?
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • col230
    I'm getting a lot of play in the cassette and and a real bad grinding sound. To be honest I think I may of played a part in it being a bit over the top with the degreaser when cleaning the bike, I have had the free hub off and tried to force new grease into it which has helped with the grinding a bit, but I still have a lot of play in the cassette.
  • cooldad
    Play in the cassette or hub?
    And sounds more like bearings. Are the cartridge or cup and cone? If cup and cone, new balls, a bit of grease and 10 minutes.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • col230
    The play is coming from the free hub body itself, as I say, I've had the free hub off, but it doesn't seem like a serviceable part, I can see the bearings and I've cleaned them and tried to force as much grease into it as possible, its quietened it down a bit but I'm still getting movement in the cassette, I have read some play is OK, is that true?
  • cooldad
    A bit yes. If the shifting is fine no problem.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • col230
    Ya, no problem with the gears, I'm a bit of a perfectionist though! Thanks for your help.
  • I have a Boardman MTB HT PRO (2012/13) with the same problem. I've already had my first formula freehub body replaced by halfords (after lots of convincing). It started slipping randomly after any coasting then resuming peddling. The replacement hub has done about 200 miles and is only a few weeks old. It now has exactly the same problem as the OP's.

There's play in the freehub bearings (note axle bearings) and a very nasty crunchy/grinding noise. The noise can be recreated by just rocking the cassette a little. It sounds like the bearing is disintegrating. I'm also convinced that it is grabbing a little when downshifting. I don't trust the bike as i'm concerned the hub might grab, lockup and wrap the chain round the cassette.

Looks to me like there may be a problem with this particular freehub body. I have only washed the bike 2 times at the most since the new hub was fitted. The most aggressive thing I'v washed it with is muck off and have also never used a pressure washer on the bike.

Don't fancy convincing Halfords yet again that the freehub is the problem, not the saddle, spokes, handlebar grips or whatever else the mechanic believes is the problem. Last time took me four attempts, first it was chain length then chain wear, then cassette wear and finally the real problem the freehub. I'm just going to have the wheel rebuilt with a better hub that I can get spares for (NOT BY HALFORDS).
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    why dont you? if it is only a few weeks old then it should be simple.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Formula hubs are usually fairly reliable, sounds like either a dodgy batch or a 'user factor' as mentioned by the OP.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.