Forum home Mountain biking forum MTB workshop & tech

Hub bearing code question

dhooper7dhooper7 Posts: 156
edited May 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
There's some play in my rear hub, figured I'd change the bearings.

The code on the bearing is 6001-RZ

Can I replace the bearing with any 6001 bearing? The letters on the end only refer to the type of seal right?
Can't seem to find many RZ, 6001-RS are a lot more common.

If it's okay, which is the best brand to go for?
2011 Specialized Enduro Comp
2014 Boardman Hybrid Comp


  • bennett_346bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    I have heard of Z and ZZ but never RZ. What is it?
  • nicklousenicklouse Posts: 50,675 Lives Here
    Try R2 it stands for 2 rubber seals.

    IIRC Z are metal "seals"
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • bennett_346bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    Metal seal sounds strange, id just put rubber sealed ones in. As long as you get the same size i can't imagine how the seal material would cause any issues.
  • badhopperbadhopper Posts: 8
    yes any 6001 bearing will fit, rs is rubber seals, try and get a japanese make bearing or similar quality, not chinese
Sign In or Register to comment.