Bike Fitting

nutter_bed
nutter_bed Posts: 87
edited May 2013 in Road beginners
Hi

Just wondering if someone could give me an idea of what a reasonable cost for a bike fitting would be please?

Kind regards
Andrew

Comments

• I had my Retul bike fit done here for £150:

http://www.cadenceperformance.com/servi ... e-fitting/

And worth every single penny!
  • nutter_bed
    Thanks for that.
    I've enquired about a Retul and a Specialized one but just wondered what sort of price I could expect to pay.

Thanks again :)
  • macleod113
    macleod113 Posts: 560
    I had mine done in Lincoln for £85. it was in his garage but he was a nice chap and i feel really comfy on the bike.

powerup bike fittings if you wanna google?
    Cube Cross 2016
    Willier GTR 2014
  • defycomp2
    defycomp2 Posts: 252
    £130 for a 3hr fit using the Serotta (SICI) method at Ride Plymouth.
    Summer - Giant Defy Composite 2 (Force 22) (retd)
    Cannondale Synapse Sram Red ETap
    Winter - Boardman CX Team (Rival X1 Hyd)
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    My bike fit (2 bikes, full shoe/cleat assessment) which took 6 hours cost about £300. And it was worth it. Lunch was included too.
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • nutter_bed
    Thanks for all the info guys, much appreciated.

If anyone has any recommendations around the Yorkshire area, please feel free to let me know :)
  • philwint
    philwint Posts: 763
    Also research around the web and see if you can sort your own fit out before parting with a significant sum of money. There is a huge amount of information available online to help you diagnose and resolve any specific issue (I suffered from numb with my first road bike - until i fixed it). Id go that route first.

I've been riding bikes (ok MTBs) fairly seriously for more than a dozen years, and now road bikes for a year. And I've never had a £fit" and am not sure what it would add. When i get a new bike I measure it up against an old one as my default and then fiddle over a number of rides until it feels right.

I have ridden 100 miles in reasonable comfort, don't suffer from any back/neck/knee/foot/etc issues.

So what would I be getting for my money? I may be a cynic - but I do think "snake oil" whenever i see bike fit threads.
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    A proper fit does far more than the basics gained from the Internet. Mine involved videoing with reference points to trace movement and assess my positioning, pedal action and best power outputs. The adjustments were all designed to ensure I was in the best position to produce my max power output for longer and in far more comfort. The biggest find was that I produced better power with shorter crank arms. Worth every penny.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • Gizmodo
    Gizmodo Posts: 1,928
    Mike Timmis, Cadence Sports, £180 including custom insoles.
    http://www.cadencesport.co.uk/bike-fitting/

He also offers a remote bike position analysis £59.99
    This is not an online bike fit, a bike fit is still far better getting done 1 to 1 with an experienced fitter, but this is an online video analysis of what I think maybe right or wrong with your position and bike set up. I will give advice on how far out you may be (or how spot on you are!), any equipment changes and set up that may help.
    People will be required to take short video clips of them riding a turbo, with side, front and rear views, also of the bike without the rider on it, using either an iPad, iPhone, iTouch or similar. You can use this free app to record an upload clips http://www.ubersense.com
    Instructions here cadencesport.blogspot.co.uk Email video cadencesportbikefit@gmail.com .
  • mrbubbaman
    mrbubbaman Posts: 171
    My local charges £200 and its around 4 hrs. My neighbour had it and says it's made a difference. I would love to do it, but I don't want to part with that money just yet :D
  • Proff
    Proff Posts: 41
    viewtopic.php?f=40013&t=12921561

This was my experience! :(
  • lotus49
    lotus49 Posts: 763
    philwint wrote:
    So what would I be getting for my money? I may be a cynic - but I do think "snake oil" whenever i see bike fit threads.
    Written just like a Yorkshireman :) .

I have to say that I agree. I am suspicious of the whole idea of bike fits and "snake oil" is exactly the phrase that springs to mind.

The one telling aspect is that no-one ever has a bike fit and is told that it actually does fit already. Most people who are prepared to pay for a bike fit are probably fairly serious about cycling already. How come none of these relatively well-informed cyclists ever manages to adjust his or her bicycle properly?

Until I see some evidence that bike fitting is a real thing, my money is staying in my pocket.
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    lotus49 wrote:
    philwint wrote:

I have to say that I agree. I am suspicious of the whole idea of bike fits and "snake oil" is exactly the phrase that springs to mind.

The one telling aspect is that no-one ever has a bike fit and is told that it actually does fit already. Most people who are prepared to pay for a bike fit are probably fairly serious about cycling already. How come none of these relatively well-informed cyclists ever manages to adjust his or her bicycle properly?

Until I see some evidence that bike fitting is a real thing, my money is staying in my pocket.

Because without the right kit to analyse your movements it is impossible to measure angles etc. A proper fit will video you with a trace to measure the extremes of all angles and try out various lengths of stem, seat adjustment, crank length etc. A power meter will clearly show if there is any improvement as will the video trace afterwards. Many of the fitters have completed sports physio and muscular skeletal training to be able to tell what is good and what is bad. How many riders and LBS still think being able to stand over the top tube is a good fit? Ignorance of progress in sports science is why some people continue to struggle.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • gavbarron
    gavbarron Posts: 824
    Tiger Frog do an online bike fit for £60 where you film yourself on the turbo and send it to them. They then measure angles etc and send you some adjustments to make to your setup. You then film again and see how it feels. Very simple process and very good from what my friend tells me.
    Personally I just did a lot of research on line, setup the bike roughly and then photographed and filmed myself making adjustments as I went. I took measurements for different riding profiles of differing frontal area and them trialled them on the road because the most aero position isn't necessarily the best position for comfort or maximal power output.
    If you do go for a private bike fit, make sure you inform them of what you want to achieve and what sort of riding you do, it would be wasted money if you rode mega long audaxes and they set you up low and tight for 1hr crit racing.
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    nutter_bed wrote:
    Hi

Just wondering if someone could give me an idea of what a reasonable cost for a bike fitting would be please?

Kind regards
    Andrew
    You're near to Lancashire, so Paul Hewitt surely. There is none better .....
  • jgsi
    jgsi Posts: 5,062
    Bike fit is a generational thing... the culture of growing up from the age of 10 and under on bikes does not exist any more unless you are 'lucky' to be born into a cycling family.
    If a bike fitter does a competent job , then good although there has been some frankenstein fits highlighted on here before now.
    Do we always need a debate on how to spend our money though?
  • drlodge
    lotus49 wrote:

Well my bike fitted pretty much perfectly, which is to be expected since it was custom made for me :)

The alterations to the bike were minimal:
    - Seat rasied by about 4mm, that's the same height as the shim added to my left foot. Hence saddle was already at the "best" height given my left leg was shorter than the right.
    - Stem changed from 120mm to 110mm, it is a litle more comfy but the 120mm stem wasn't giving me an issue.

That's it! I also had the opportunity to enquire about the best Selle SMP saddle for my needs, and decided to get the Lite 209 as a result. This saddle is a keeper.

Bear in mind the main reason for the bike fit was not to get the bike fitted per se, since I was quite comfortable with the fit, but more to look at the shoe/pedal interface. I had the shim fitted, and wedges to both feet (inside the shoe at the heel area).
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • philwint
    philwint Posts: 763
    philthy3 wrote:
    lotus49 wrote:
    philwint wrote:

Because without the right kit to analyse your movements it is impossible to measure angles etc. A proper fit will video you with a trace to measure the extremes of all angles and try out various lengths of stem, seat adjustment, crank length etc. A power meter will clearly show if there is any improvement as will the video trace afterwards. Many of the fitters have completed sports physio and muscular skeletal training to be able to tell what is good and what is bad. How many riders and LBS still think being able to stand over the top tube is a good fit? Ignorance of progress in sports science is why some people continue to struggle.

I get the whole analysis bit, I just don't think it would make much difference (to me). I'm sure we could run test on the composition of the cup of coffee in front of me. We could look at the number of grains of coffee, the optimum temperature, and agonize over semi, or full fat milk. But back in the real world would it actually make a noticeable difference?

Does my coffee currently taste good - yes.

It's the same with a bike fit i would think. Am I generally comfortable on my bike and can i keep up on the club runs - Yes

So I would get no noticeable improvement from it.

If you are currently making coffee with dried bark and white paint then it could be improved. But most people are not.
  • drlodge
    philwint wrote:
    It's the same with a bike fit i would think. Am I generally comfortable on my bike and can i keep up on the club runs - Yes

So I would get no noticeable improvement from it.

I was in this very position - bike fitted fine (it was a custom built frame for me). What made the difference was the physical assessment to my body, and ultimately the fitting of shims/wedges. I then felt more "dialed in" and improved on my PBs. Changes to the bike itself were minimal.
    Find me on Strava
  • keith57
    keith57 Posts: 164
    I think its hilarious that people will think nothing of spending a few £?,000's on a bike and quibble about a few £?00's on tuning the most important bit :-)
    http://www.fachwen.org
    https://www.strava.com/athletes/303457

Please note: I’ll no longer engage deeply with anonymous forum users :D
  • lotus49
    lotus49 Posts: 763
    Keith57 wrote:
    I think its hilarious that people will think nothing of spending a few £?,000's on a bike and quibble about a few £?00's on tuning the most important bit :-)
    I think you misunderstand why some of us are quibbling. It's not the expense but the value we are questioning.

You only have to read through the threads here to see some horror stories of people paying hundreds of pounds essentially for nothing of value. I am unconvinced that there is much more to bike fitting than there is to astrology. Sometimes the answer may be correct but that could easily be accidental and a lot of the time it seems to be random guessing aided by a dash of intuition. Different fitters come up with inconsistent results and no-one's bike ever fits them properly before they are fitted, which just isn't plausible.

If someone can come up with some empirical evidence that there is an approach to bike fitting that is consistent and produces measurable results I shall consider sticking my hand in my pocket. It may be that such evidence exists - if it does, I'd be very interested to see it.
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    lotus49 wrote:
    Keith57 wrote:
    I think you misunderstand why some of us are quibbling. It's not the expense but the value we are questioning.

You only have to read through the threads here to see some horror stories of people paying hundreds of pounds essentially for nothing of value. I am unconvinced that there is much more to bike fitting than there is to astrology. Sometimes the answer may be correct but that could easily be accidental and a lot of the time it seems to be random guessing aided by a dash of intuition. Different fitters come up with inconsistent results and no-one's bike ever fits them properly before they are fitted, which just isn't plausible.

If someone can come up with some empirical evidence that there is an approach to bike fitting that is consistent and produces measurable results I shall consider sticking my hand in my pocket. It may be that such evidence exists - if it does, I'd be very interested to see it.
    You have to find a good one, and look upon it as an investment.
  • carl_p
    carl_p Posts: 989
    Interesting thread. Must admit I'm a bit dubious about the whole bike fitting thing. I bet if you went to 10 different fitters you'd get 10 different set ups. If the so called science is correct then surely there can only be one correct fit for you. It's the randomness that puts me off.
    Specialized Venge S Works
    Cannondale Synapse
    Enigma Etape
    Genesis Flyer Single Speed

Turn the corner, rub my eyes and hope the world will last...