First Tour Thoughts/Seeking Touring Companion

neil-b
neil-b Posts: 3
edited July 2013 in Tour & expedition
Hi All, first time posting anything... Anyway due to a change in circumstances (being made redundant, forced to sell house, not liking new temporary job) I find myself thinking that I should treat this a good opportunity to get out there and do something instead of trying to get straight back into the rat race/mortgage/full time work routine.

I've been wanting to do some cycle touring for quite a while and love the idea of going off for a reasonable time with no ties or restrictions as to when I have to return. I have a rough idea of a route forming, taking me from Norfolk up to Yorkshire (to visit my mate) and perhaps back home via the peak district, an area I've always loved.

I am slightly (make that very) nervous about heading out on my own though. So if there's anyone out there who would like someone to go on a tour with, doesn't matter where or how long, would love to get in touch and see if we get along and could tour together. I guess my main worry is getting lost and finding somewhere to camp.

Any tips anyone can give on planning a route and finding camping stops along a chosen route would be greatly appreciated

Comments

• Hoopdriver
    Hoopdriver Posts: 2,023
    It is a big step to go out on your own, but do it anyway. THe first couple of days might seem a bit uncertain, since you are evidently new to this, but after that you will find your rhythm and road persona and be very glad you pushed out on your own. Travelling alone will give you complete freedom and what's more, expose you more to the chance encounters and meeting interesting people along the way - something that doesn't happen when you are travelling with a companion. The dynamic is inherently different.

Take a deep breath, load up your bike and set out for distant places on your own, free, clear and beholden to no one.

You'll never regret it.
  • neil-b
    neil-b Posts: 3
    Thanks Hoopdriver, that's just the kind of encouragement I need! I completely get what you're saying, must push myself and get out there, I know you're right and I'll love it once going.

I'm guessing you've toured alone. When planning a route do you try and research and plan around camp sites or just head out?
  • Hoopdriver
    Hoopdriver Posts: 2,023
    neil-b wrote:
    Thanks Hoopdriver, that's just the kind of encouragement I need! I completely get what you're saying, must push myself and get out there, I know you're right and I'll love it once going.

I'm guessing you've toured alone. When planning a route do you try and research and plan around camp sites or just head out?
    I have toured alone all over the world, on every continent - from nine-month, 10,000 mile expeditions through the Australian outback to five day trips through Wales. I just wing it and trust to luck and the gods of the open road. They've never failed me. I am a writer and photographer by profession and have written up a few of my rides. My solo trek around Australia appeared as a three part series in National Geographic and later came out in book form, Cold Beer & Crocodiles. I don't know if reading that would be of interest - it might, as at the start of that trip I was feeling quite uncertain about what I was doing.

I have serialised a book-length account of a trip I made for the sheer hell of it, from my front door here in Sussex to Istanbul, all done very much by guess and by golly. It is on m blog, listed below.

If you have any questions please feel free to ask.
  • dnrc
    dnrc Posts: 159
    where are you based mate?

i see you say you're starting in norfolk. I'm in Norwich and have got all the equipment and bike i need for touring but as yet have never actually got round to doing one.

would be interested in trying out a beginners tour.
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    Check out crazyguyonabike.com... Lots of inspiring stories about solo trips and plenty of advice about how to go about it